2000 GTX RFI Millenium

Mica

I have two 2000 SeaDoo GTX RFI 787 engines. Just rebuilt the top end on both due to poor compression. A year ago I replaced the filters on a fuel pump and this time I tested the fuel pressure with just the key in and was reading 50 psi followed by an immediate dropping of pressure. The manual says the pressure should be 56-60 psi while performing this test. Question: could this be the reason for the engine shutting down after running normally for 3-5 minutes in the water? It would restart but with the same results. It will not run past 3200 RPM and will die immediately after that. The other one is running just not past 2200 RPM. I have rebuilt the RAVE valves and replaced the RAVE solenoid and check valve (supplying the pressure from the crankcase to the solenoid). I suspect the fuel delivery now and wondering if that may be a problem because the fuel pressure not being 56-60 psi as indicated in the manual. Would this make that much difference?

Well, the higher the RPM you're at, the more fuel is requiring to be fed. If your pump is not providing the fuel needed, fuel starvation will cause the engine to die. In water, the engine is working harder because of resistance in the water so it needs the fuel to maintain idle.

You need 56psi fuel and the pump should hold that. Replace both filters and get the injectors serviced at fuelinjectorman.com Cost about $60 including shipping last time I sent some out. I keep serviced injectors in my parts pile. I don't like waiting on parts. LOL Also check that your fuel regulator is holding pressure. I had a faulty fuel regulator that leaked down to 20psi pretty quick when the pump shut off. Oddly it did not affect the engine performance with no ill effects to engine operation. Good Luck !!

Well, the higher the RPM you're at, the more fuel is requiring to be fed. If your pump is not providing the fuel needed, fuel starvation will cause the engine to die. In water, the engine is working harder because of resistance in the water so it needs the fuel to maintain idle.
Thank you, that may be the case. I will look further into it.

Thank you, that may be the case. I will look further into it.
You need 56psi fuel and the pump should hold that. Replace both filters and get the injectors serviced at fuelinjectorman.com Cost about $60 including shipping last time I sent some out. I keep serviced injectors in my parts pile. I don't like waiting on parts. LOL Also check that your fuel regulator is holding pressure. I had a faulty fuel regulator that leaked down to 20psi pretty quick when the pump shut off. Oddly it did not affect the engine performance with no ill effects to engine operation. Good Luck !!
Thank you for confirming my suspicion. I will do what you say.

I have two 2000 SeaDoo GTX RFI 787 engines. Just rebuilt the top end on both due to poor compression. A year ago I replaced the filters on a fuel pump and this time I tested the fuel pressure with just the key in and was reading 50 psi followed by an immediate dropping of pressure. The manual says the pressure should be 56-60 psi while performing this test. Question: could this be the reason for the engine shutting down after running normally for 3-5 minutes in the water? It would restart but with the same results. It will not run past 3200 RPM and will die immediately after that. The other one is running just not past 2200 RPM. I have rebuilt the RAVE valves and replaced the RAVE solenoid and check valve (supplying the pressure from the crankcase to the solenoid). I suspect the fuel delivery now and wondering if that may be a problem because the fuel pressure not being 56-60 psi as indicated in the manual. Would this make that much difference?
I will say that when mine was running on one cylinder it would not rev past around 3200rpm. It turned out one of my injector plugs was swapped with the rave solenoid plug when I got it.

Back