1st compression test just under 120psi

Status
Not open for further replies.
My harbor fright compression gauge showed around 130 and when I bought a quality gauge, it was really over 140. Big difference! I threw out the harbor freight gauge.

My harbor fright compression gauge showed around 130 and when I bought a quality gauge, it was really over 140. Big difference! I threw out the harbor freight gauge.

Well i just got the new hf gauge and now im just over 120. But there was a small difference between the two.

Be careful tearing into a good running ski. I notice your a Fl rider so there could be salt use. If you break one bolt now you have opened up a big can of worms.

Im gonna try one more tester. Lets say i am at 120's but my ski runs fine. I guess you can call me greedy but i want my 717 to be all that it can be. And if im down 20+ psi. Im not cool with that.

If your ski's compression is truly 120psi, it won't be running fine for long, you will need a rebuild.

Lou

With digital rpm and gps mph #'s we would know exactly where your ski is at. A thousand dollar rebuild bill is not worth the slightly better acceleration and 1-2 mph improvement that it would provide(assuming your compression is actually low). Unfortunately in the world we are living in down here it is only a thousand dollar ski in the first place.

With digital rpm and gps mph #'s we would know exactly where your ski is at. A thousand dollar rebuild bill is not worth the slightly better acceleration and 1-2 mph improvement that it would provide(assuming your compression is actually low). Unfortunately in the world we are living in down here it is only a thousand dollar ski in the first place.

I can give you mph my fastest was 49 on gps. And that is a good point. Im gonna get one more real reading and go from there. Yeah why spend the extra $ that much of an improvement when i do plan on getting an spx 787 one day

you tried it with a another hf compression tester? i would try it with a good quality compression tester and see what it is. very possible u got 2 bad compression testers from hf. two tools that you should never cheap out on is a compression tester and a torque wrench.

you tried it with a another hf compression tester? i would try it with a good quality compression tester and see what it is. very possible u got 2 bad compression testers from hf. two tools that you should never cheap out on is a compression tester and a torque wrench.

Yeah i know not the smartest choice. But you are right i eill not get a HF torque wrench

however if u have a compression tester that is consistently 30 psi low thats a good tool to keep around when u go to buy skis. work the price down a bit.

however if u have a compression tester that is consistently 30 psi low thats a good tool to keep around when u go to buy skis. work the price down a bit.

I certainly hope that you meant your comment as a joke. How can we expect honesty from sellers when buyers are crooks?

Lou

I certainly hope that you meant your comment as a joke. How can we expect honesty from sellers when buyers are crooks?

Lou

yes lou im kidding around. even tho most of the time it is the sellers honesty we have to worrie about. but if it consistently low u can use it and just add the difference to it. my cousin had a gauge like this, low by 20 psi. on the back of it i just wrote +20psi with a marker so we never be confused with bad compression readings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back