1999 xp ltd repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash-White

Hi guy's, this is my first post here. I just bought a Seadoo xp ltd 1999 model. The ski was colided with some shallow rocks and smashed all the front in. A local boat builder we deal with atempted to repair it but had no luck (loss of patience!) so i have managed to purchase it off of him very cheaply. I work in a familly business where we repair fibreglass boats. But I havent attempted anything like this. Il post some pictures as soon as I can to show you all the damage caused, if anyones got any advice on where I could get new parts, or got any pictures of that model or general advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks Ash :)

Down under....

Yeah, that's cool. I'd like to see what she looks like. It's cool to see threads coming in from Australia!.......the home of our Rotax engines. One mean little motor!............
Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing your pix!

Welcome to the forum Ash!
I used to smash up my Kawaasaki stand-up ski's all the time in competition. I even kept a back up empty hull on hand just in case...painted up pretty and everything, for those just incase, broken in 1/2 situations. With patiance and some skill you can mend the hull and have it good as new. Without pics., it's kinda hard to really know how bad the damage is. If it is real bad you might think about looking for an empty hull and swap out the parts to it. I see them all the time on e-bay going cheap as $200.00 us. for different makes and models, with papers. Might save you a ton of hrs repairing, for not much invested in the long run.
Karl

Hey guy's thanks for the great responses already. The ski is in pretty bad condition (made worse by the company I got it from) the pictures i have are the ones the advertised the ski with.

I pretty novice to the jetski world although we've done minor gelcoat repairs for some jet ski companies in our area. If any of you guys know where I can get parts (and get them delivered to australia) that would be great! thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
parts?

When you first open our forums main page, there are some advertisers offering OEM parts. I'd click on one of these links and see what you can find out. If you need something in specific, let me know and I'll help you look it up and if possible, make some calls inside the U.S. to get better information for you as to whether they ship out of the country.

Damage ?

The pictures on the site look bad, but because of the shadow you can't really see the extent. I'm wondering if the ski took major damage to the bottom, is the integrity of the hull strong enough to handle that high powered 951cc engine?....
Keep us posted!

I have yet to have a long look over the ski, but from what i have seen on my recent visits to the boat yard, the hull is sound, its pretty nasty damage on the front, but I don't think it will affect the overall integrity of the hull. When I pick it up next week il get some decent pics to show ya'll. Do you know where i could get things like, a new fender/rubrail to go all the way around, and the ski eye unit in the front???

That could do with a skin right across the hull IMO.

Any cracks or pin holes would open up under water preasure and just get worse.
Good project though.

It is really hard to see what has been covered up by the other boat yard. I have seen Jet ski's look perfect with some paint... than ride it once and oops large cracks apear because the fiberglass was covered with bondo an not retained with fiberglass sheets and repaired correctly. If it was me, and I had doubts about the repair I would remove the repair section and do it correctly myself. That way I know it was right and not something that just looked pretty. Spend extra time now rather than spend extra time and money re-doing it later.
Karl

Hey guy's, thanks for all the great suportive comments made. Unfortinatly, I haven't purchased the Ski now, after finding out that half the components were missing, including the engine, jet drive e.t.c Thanks for all your help, I'm thinking of buying a jetski from the US now, after comparing the prices to ski's in Australia. I opened a new thread under buy/sell/trade. Hope to hear from you all soon :)

Lot of work!

It may be a good thing about the ski!........Look on ebay!....you can get some pretty good deals or at least see what they are sellimg for.......

slim pickins

:agree: The selections get less and less this time of year, but It might give ya a good idea of what to expect to pay when the times is right... It bites to get your hopes up and do some research only to find out it isn't what the seller promised...like things missing.
Karl:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back