1999 GTX RFI Intermitant Compression problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssteig

Hello all. I am new to this page as I am new to Seedoo's. But, it looks like I may have found the right page.
I have a 1999 Seedoo GTX RFI. It ran great for one year. Mid way through second season, it started fouling plugs every time I used it. I'd change them and it would run fine. Got harder to start then, after warming up, 1/2 the power would cut in and out. After a couple of times it was always hard to start, would not idle and had little power. I thought it may be a coil but found the compression on the back cylinder was 0. Compression on the front cylinder is 150. Took off heads and can't see any holes or cracks in head, piston or cylinder. There are several scars on the head and piston where it looks like metal bits got between them on the compression stroke. Not good but does not completely explain the loss of compression.
Could rings have deteriorated to the point of 0 psi compression?
How do you tell of leak is between head and cylinder?
Any ideas?
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless there is a gasket blowout, it would have to be between the ring and wall. 0 compression is hard to explain unless there were no rings left at all, and that is what your engine ate. Either way, with scaring on the walls you should rebuild the engine and get it honed. Pull the head and check the gaskets to see where the pressure is escaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back