1999 GTX LTD | Starting Issue

BigEd5033

Hey all!

Got to the marina today to run the ‘99 GTX LTD. Hooked up the battery, inserted the key, and got the 2 beeps, but nothing happened when I pressed the start button. I jumped the posts on the starter solenoid and got it to turn over. A guy a the local service shop said my solenoid was bad. I bought a new solenoid from him and installed it. When I reconnected the battery the starter engaged and would not stop until I disconnected the battery. The key was not inserted nor was the starter button pressed during this time. I used my meter to check the posts on the old and new solenoid. The old one was definitely bad. The new one checked good.

What other issues could cause this? Bad starter button? Or something worse?

Sounds like the little red wire is on the wrong post if it has one. It can make it crank as soon as power is connected.

Sounds like the little red wire is on the wrong post if it has one. It can make it crank as soon as power is connected.
Thanks very much for the reply. Does the red wire need to be on the post directly from the battery or the post to the starter?

Also, which post is battery in vs battery out?

And one dumb question, how the heck do you get the gasket situated in the cover? I can’t seem to get it to snap back on. The gasket is in the slot inside the cover.

Gasket goes on the body not the groove in the lid. A little silicone grease makes it much easier and more waterproof.

I’m going to get a OEM solenoid from the shop late this week. They told me there had been some duds in the last batch of non-OEM solenoids they received.

Question - if this doesn’t fix the no start issue. Where should I look next?

The OEM solenoid didn’t work. It still tries to crank over as soon as the battery is connected. Bad MPEM?

Last edited:
I'd first investigate the start button ignition switch. Disconnect the wire and use a multimeter to see if you have a closed circuit when the button's not pressed. If the circuits closed with the button pressed or not pressed, you know you have a bad switch.

Back