1999 gtx limited problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpkwapich

Im hoping for some help with an issue with my gtx that wont start. I ran it for about an hour and in the middle of the lake it died. it turns over but it is not firing as if its not getting gas. i pulled the filter and cleaned it out and tried to start it again with no success. when i looked at the filter again there was no gas in the cup. any input on what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Did you pull the plugs and see how they look? Have you tried starting it with the petcock in the reserve position? Is it getting spark? Good luck!!!

EL TORO,
Thanks for the reply. Yes i replaced the plugs (NGK R), and tried starting it in the reserve position. I have read alot of threads commenting on the "grey" fuel lines being garbage so i am spending this afternoon replacing those. It seems as is i am not getting gas (filter cup is not full after trying to start it) so im hoping it is just a clogged fuel line.

There are internal fuel filters inside the carbs. I just changed my grey gas lines and there was a ton of greenish blue goop in the internal filters. I cleaned the internal filters and my fuel problem was gone!

JPK, any luck with replacing the fuel lines? How much of a job was that? Did you get them all replaced? I have a 99 GTX Ltd as well. Just got it last fall and it ran great. This year there is some bogging and surging in mid RPM.

Doug212, how do you get to the internal filters on the carbs?

Thanks!

It wasn't bad so far. i changed all the ones going to the selector and fuel filter but today im going to remove the carb to clean the filters and replace those lines. not sure how difficult that will be. doesn't seem too bad except for the exhaust right on top of the carbs.

Hi, any luck removing the carbs? I'll do the same procedure... did you have to take off the exhaust? And did you have to buy new gasket for it..? Thanks, //M

Yes, I took the exhaust off to access the carbs easier. Fortunatly, the gasket was still good so i re-used. both the carb base gaskets and the exhaust gasket. be sure your gasket at carb base is good, you dont want to suck air through there. you have 2 internal filters, 1 in each carb. the mag side is under the fuel pump and the pto side is under the cover next to the mag side carb. you can pull them out and spray carb cleaner through the filter to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back