1999 gsx rfi 787 oil type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond 88

Hi,
Just purchased a 1999 GSX RFI 787 Seadoo with 94 hours on it. My question is this. Previous owner has the Amsoil HP 2 stroke synthetic marine injector oil in the machine. Dealer strongly recommends using the Sea doo XPS synthetic oil. Apparently the RFI is actually an engine that it is very important to use manufacturer's recommended oil and not an alternative
They also say that I cant just run most of the old oil out and put the Seadoo oil in on top. Claim there is like 1 1/2 quarts of oil in the RAVE reservoir on the engine.
Could someone please let me know if they have had any success with Amsoil in the RFI engines. If I do have to purge as much of the old oil out as possible What would the procedure be?
Thanks

I'm going to agree with the dealer on this one. The oil the previous owner used is the wrong oil, it's a TC-W3 outboard motor oil. However I'm going to disagree about using XPS2 exclusively (even though that's what I use), any full synthetic API-TC rated oil is O.K. to use.

There is no RAVE reservoir I think the dealer is talking about oil that's in the rotary valve cavity, maybe a couple of ounces, honestly I don't know.

To do this properly, you will need to drain the oil tank, change the oil filter, suction out the oil in the RV cavity, add new oil and bleed the system.

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0639.jpg
    100_0639.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 24
Thanks LouDoo,
Looks like 2nd owner who i bought the seadoo from only putr about 20 hours on the machine. Would you think using the Amsoil would have caused any permanent damage? I know it is a very general question but would like to know if this engine is worth buying now.
Thanks

Probably not, TC-W3 is not instant death, just the wrong oil. The oil he was using was for Evinrude E-Tec outboards, so it wasn't a cheap oil, just the wrong oil.

Lou

Probably not, TC-W3 is not instant death, just the wrong oil. The oil he was using was for Evinrude E-Tec outboards, so it wasn't a cheap oil, just the wrong oil.

Lou

I was hoping there is not any damage or minimal. It sounds like it is important to get as much amsoil out as I can before putting in the XPS synthetic. Something else I noticed on the RFI. The check valve and hose off the top of the unit that mounts on the top of the oil reservoir for the low oil sensor is missing. Is this something I should be worried about get it put back on? There is just an open hose nipple at the tee right now with the other side of the tee the hose goes to the engine. Thanks

Using a good wrong oil isn't going to destroy it, rather just means more maintenance may be necessary.
I am about to be completely changing my oil over from what the previous owner used, and am about to read the manual on bleeding the system. Not to threadjack, but would it be possibly to just siphon out all of whats in the tank and then put the new stuff in?

It's hard to say, if you are changing from a mineral to a synthetic, same brand, ie XPS the answer is yes. Do you know what the previous owner used? Also what ski is this going in?

Lou

Completed the oil change over last night and had some good advise from the dealership that helped a lot. There was quite of bit of oil in the rotary valve reservoir, probably at least a liter (quart) . This is the procedure I used.
Disconnected the oil hose at the filter because I was changing the filter anyways. Drained the oil from the reservoir through this hose. Disconnected the hose from the top of the oil reservoir that is the return hose for the rotary valve oil. Disconnected the hose that from the bottom of the reservoir that supplies the rotary valve. Drained all the oil out of the rotary valve. Then gently blew on the the return hose that goes to the top of the tank. This got most of the rest of the oil out of the rotary valve reservoir. Then I used the tip from the dealership. I took a funnel and put it in the return hose for the rotary valve. I poured in almost a liter of new XPS SEadoo synthetic hose in to the rotary valve to flush out the old oil. worked great.
Connected the rotary valve hose to the reservoir and installed new oil filter. Poured another liter in the return hose to go into the rotary valve reservoir and then connected that return hose back up to the top of the reservoir. Filled up the reservoir tank. Opened up the bleed screw a few times on the injection pump until there was steady flow of oil. Bumped the machine several times to get oil flowing. Manually opened the cable valve on the side of the oil injector to full to get the oil going. Away the oil went and all seems well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back