1998 XP Limited carbed rattling

Siim001

Hi,
So my 951 started to rattle so hard that I could feel the vibrations standing next to it in the water and subsequently broke the exhaust bolt. Shut it off and when starting again it would turn but would not stay running. Checked the plugs, they were wet with dark oil (maybe excessive cranking?). Removed raves and checked pistons, they looked fine(were replaced last year.)
How should I start diagnosing this? Don't really want to crack open the bottom end as the first thing. Thanks.

You could remove the PTO cover and turn the engine over by hand to feel for anything binding or loose. Also, you could check the driveshaft damper between the PTO and driveshaft. If you see chunks of the damper in the bottom of the hull, that's a sign. Also, under the rear hatch and under the seat, there is a metal cover plate where the front driveshaft connects to the rear driveshaft. You can check that. Also, you might have to remove the pump to see if it is the problem.

Thanks for replys.
Fired it up yesterday and it's working. No rattles no anything. Cylinder pressures were 125 and 115 pto. Both were 125 a few months ago. Was this water ingestion maybe ? Can I still ride it or is the difference too big for the crank?

Back