RESTO 1998 SPX (The X4 bug bites again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackNyellow787

I just cant get enough of these X4s & I had a feeling I'd be back for some more.. The forum has had some very nice restos going on this winter/spring so i figured i would join the fun.

A quick background: I got into this about 5 years ago when i bought my very first watercraft, 1994 Seadoo XP 657x. Great ski and it treated me very well for the year n a half i had it. I then sold it and purchased a 1996xp, then joined the forums and started learning boat loads from you guys about maintanence and all the tips and tricks. After riding the xp800 i was hooked and it all started as i got deeper into it. I purchased two 1999 SPX's on a double trailer for a STEAL of a deal up in Wisconsin about 2 hours away from me. Then started cleaning those up and starting all the normal maintenance that had been neglected over the years. Next i purchased a 1997 SPX dirt cheap to restore which was my first resto ever http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?68554-97-SPX-resto-250-purchase/page8 96xp, 97spx, 98spx, and two 99spx's LOL I just need a 95'xp800 now to complete the collection.

Now here I am with a 1998 SPX that ive been dieing to get my hands on! I found her over in Des Moines, IA about 2.5-3 hours from me. This was non-running blown up. I paid $400 for it without a trailer which is a little more then i would have normally paid but i knew the 98spx was a hard one to come buy so i didnt hesitate and i jumped right on it. I was actually texting Nick (Minnetonka) right after i scooped it up and come to find out he was in contact with this same guy about this ski. I felt bad about the whole deal but I knew Nick would find his unicorn soon enough :) Anyways ill stop blabbing about it and get to what everyone wants to see..
image (4).jpg
image (7).jpg
image (6).jpg
image (5).jpg
image (9).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is the graphics are in GREAT shape as you can see in the 4th picture and i 100% percent plan to keep them!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh now that there is the ultimate barn find. Dirty as all get out but underneath it you know it will come out looking good!
Nice find

Some shots of the engine bay..not very pretty but it does appear that the VTS motor has been replaced sometime recently as it basically looks brand new.
image (3).jpg
image (2).jpg

I love the 98 Spx. They don't pop up for sale very often around here

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I don't need another one, don't want another project, don't have time for...... but I still would have bought that for $400. Nicely done. I love seeing these saved and restored, thanks for posting.

Goodbye mailbox registration stickers!

Should be a pretty easy clean up exterior wise! Looks good! Subscribed!

I was hoping so man but I'm thinking it's gonna be a pain...I'll have to tape off all the graphics with frog tape, then start wet sanding to get rid of most of the fading/yellowing goin' on. I took some close ups below..
176.jpg

177.jpg

178.jpg

Sent from da iPhone

Oh man. Idk about all of that. I would just break out the buffer and go to town on it before I started wet sanding. On racerxxx's 98 Spx build that is what he is doing. I wouldnt even tape the decals. I have never burnt through them or even close

If I could get it to look 90% as good as wetsand and buffing with 2-3 hours of buffing and no wetsanding for 10-15 hours I would do that.

I COMPLETELY agree with you on that. I hate wetsanding with a passion...
Well then maybe ill have to try buffing on the nose and see what that gets me. I just want her to pop and shine ya know?

Im guessing ill have to break out the wool pad and some heavy cut to start

It depends on how much you want to save the graphics. Heavy cut is quite aggressive on a wool pad and I have seen it start to remove the color on the graphics for an SP that I restored.

It is a PITA to tape them but I can do the entire ski in about 30 minutes with a new sharp X-acto.

I don't chance it.

Do you just lay the tape down then follow the edges of the decals with the razor or do you walk the tape with your hands around each little bend and corner?

Also when buffing how close can you guys get to the tape? If the buffer hits it while your getting in all the tight little corners of the decals does the tape peal up?

And I can see that you did the bottom first because it definitely pops! Digging that 99spx decal on the bottom too, where did you find that at? Looks OEM

I use the 2" 3M painters tape and cover the entire graphic. Then trim the outline with the X-Acto. IF you go over the edges with your fingernail it is easy to see the edge and a new sharp blade cuts the tape without the gelcote.

I hit the tape with the buffer and it holds up fine. The big issue is wetsanding. If you get the blue tape too wet it starts to lift. I think one of the automotive lines is better but have not tried it.

The stickers on mine are OEM that somebody else installed. The bottom and front are from a 99' SPX and the rear is from a 99' XP Limited.

I would tape the decals off too. Mostly just for the more aggresive stuff like wet sand and the heavy cut compounds. However you can shine up the decals by hitting them quickly with swirl remover or a glaze. Just remember to pa close attention and go quickly over them.

+1 JSG, forgot to mention that.
Make sure you wash the ski down between each compound so you don't contaminate the next finer compound. Then after you wash for the final machine glaze remove the tape and hit everything including the stickers. Then final wax ind it will be perfect.

Make sure you have plenty of beer, I find it takes quite a few to get through all the buffing and wet sanding.

I don't mind yellow, white sucks. That's why I chose not to get to radical with the deck. Best of luck, the reward is big though.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Forecast called for rain all day so it was a good excuse to get out in the garage and start the buffing. I taped off all the graphics with Frog Tape and then used a NEW razor blade to cut excess away.
423.jpg

424.jpg

425.jpg

Sent from the garage

Taping everything off was very tedious...
After that i started with some Meguiar's heavy cut and was very pleased with the first pass!

My plan is to finish the entire hull with this heavy cut w/ wool pad. Then move to a fine cut w/ wool pad and finish it off with a foam pad and swirl remover. Last it'll get waxed. (Thanks for pointers Jetskigoodies)

Sent from the garage

Thank [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION] he has an excellent write up of all the compounds and materials needed to get the job done right.

Sent from the garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back