1997 GTI Stall Issue

Midshipexpress

Hi all,

I have a 1997 SeaDoo GTI that I’m working on getting back to serviceable condition after acquiring it from my neighbour at the lake. I’ve been on the hunt for info via YouTube and Facebook, but am hitting a wall.

The ski had a few problems that I’ve worked through. I’ve replaced the starter relay as I was getting no start, then intermittent starting led me to replace the momentary button as well. That seems to behind me.

I then started chasing a big / stall issue when the ski was running. It seems to run fine save for this problem. I replaced all the fuel lines as they look to be the cause of fuel delivery issues (I changed the fuel strainer and selector valve as well. When I pulled apart and cleaned the carb, I found the diaphragm sticking to the body and also the internal strainer quite plugged. I figured that I had found the problem.

The ski seemed to run well after this, but after an hour or so of riding, the intermittent stall has returned.

I’m starting to wonder if this could be related to the key, but looking for any other advice. The ski doesn’t always beep when the key is attached. It also doesn’t always beep when the ski stalls. I also notice that when it does stall, the oil light comes on. The fuel gauge reads empty even though I know the tank has enough fuel that it should show some level.

Is this a reasonable path to start to head down or is it more likely to sill be a fuel delivery problem?

Hi all,

I have a 1997 SeaDoo GTI that I’m working on getting back to serviceable condition after acquiring it from my neighbour at the lake. I’ve been on the hunt for info via YouTube and Facebook, but am hitting a wall.

The ski had a few problems that I’ve worked through. I’ve replaced the starter relay as I was getting no start, then intermittent starting led me to replace the momentary button as well. That seems to behind me.

I then started chasing a big / stall issue when the ski was running. It seems to run fine save for this problem. I replaced all the fuel lines as they look to be the cause of fuel delivery issues (I changed the fuel strainer and selector valve as well. When I pulled apart and cleaned the carb, I found the diaphragm sticking to the body and also the internal strainer quite plugged. I figured that I had found the problem.

The ski seemed to run well after this, but after an hour or so of riding, the intermittent stall has returned.

I’m starting to wonder if this could be related to the key, but looking for any other advice. The ski doesn’t always beep when the key is attached. It also doesn’t always beep when the ski stalls. I also notice that when it does stall, the oil light comes on. The fuel gauge reads empty even though I know the tank has enough fuel that it should show some level.

Is this a reasonable path to start to head down or is it more likely to sill be a fuel delivery problem?
My money would be on a fuel issue

Replace all the parts and needle and seats per the carb rebuild thread.
Trust me, I don't want you to have to do it again but I want your ski to give you a trouble free summer.

Back