1996 SPX and 1990 Elf not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Noob

Hello all new to forums, a bit about my self. As for knowlegs of motors or basicly anything ZERO hence the name Noob, But i got the shop manuel for both skies and with patience and alot of reading I feel I can get these working

Ok so here is the scoop, Both jetskies have worked perfectly only minor battery issues. Just got new batteries for both, the 1996 SPX fired up perfectly no problms what so ever, the 1990 Elf was cranking but never turned over thought it might be spark plugs replaced them but still the exact same effect cracking but not turning over.

Now the 1996 SPX was working perfect droped it in the water let my buddy take it out for a spin and a hour later he is being towed back by the coast guard. Now I was not out there so I do not know what exactly happned but when he came in the gas was set to reserve, from what I was told was running fine then just died, he spent 20 minutes trying to start it in the water depleted the battery eventually running into rocks and flooding the jetski with seawater. I flushed the ski when i got home with fresh water and just today WD-40 The parts that I could get to. Now I recharged the battery and was hoping that was the problm but its making this buzz noise no clanking no turning nothing. So we asumed may be fuses checked fuse box and it was bone dry and fuses seamed to be ok

So I really have absolutly NO idea what to do. Anyone done work on the 96 Spx or the 90 Elf that may be able to lend a hand? Any help is greatly appreicated

One ski at a time....

Let's look at the 96 first....you said it flooded and you sprayed what you could with WD-40.......o.k., good. You need to pull out the spark plugs, put the wires on the grounding lugs. Then, after spraying what you can into the spark plug holes, try to turn it over with the starter motor. If this won't work. Disconnect the battery, leave the spark plugs out, remove the shaft guard cover and use your hand or a pipe wrench to try and spin the shaft over by hand, counterclockwise. You've got to lub the engine on the inside before it begins to rust. If you have salt water inside the engine, then time is of the essence.........
Post back and let us know whether or not if you get the crankshaft to turn over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back