1996 SeaDoo XP Starter Electric Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peyton_N14

I just bought a 96 SeaDoo XP and at first a clicking noise was coming from the rear electrical box so I changed the starter solenoid, it made the same clicking noise again so I replaced the starter. Now whenever I press the start button the starter engages but turns very slow, not fast enough at all to start the engine. I made sure the battery was fully charged and I had good connections but this didn’t change anything, please help.

I just bought a 96 SeaDoo XP and at first a clicking noise was coming from the rear electrical box so I changed the starter solenoid, it made the same clicking noise again so I replaced the starter. Now whenever I press the start button the starter engages but turns very slow, not fast enough at all to start the engine. I made sure the battery was fully charged and I had good connections but this didn’t change anything, please help.
Have you confirmed that the battery is good?

One can read fully charged on a cheaper charger, but actually be bad.

Check the voltage when cranking, should never drop below 12v.

Also the aftermarket starters are junk.
Better off installing new brushes in the OEM starter.

Yes, especially on saltwater skis. The cables corrode from the inside out and can look fine. You can check voltage at the starter lug when cranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back