1996 Seadoo XP questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickenbig

So I been researching the forum figured the XP has a pretty good reputation. So I did some craigslist and found one for 1,200 with trailer. Is this a good buy? It also runs!

96 seadoo xp 787 engine.
Technically called a 800.
New stainless prop
electronic adjustable trim
All gauges work including gas gauge
New variable trim module
Stainless wear ring
R&D intake grate
New spark plugs

Depends on compression and condition, but that's not a bad price. If it looks ragged out and the compression is below 130, I wouldn't pay more than 600 tops for it. Around 900 if compression's 150 and it isn't beat up.

Lou that's pretty minty except for that bar pad. I've got a minty fresh bar cover that was given to me I'll send you if you pick that up. It looks dang near new

1700 for just the one? Way too much right now. I could have picked one up this summer for 1000.00 with a trailer and cover, and it was stored in a heated garage.

Yeah that's why I offered 1000. Theirs another one that they want 800 but needs top end done! I was like nah. I'm in Washington does that mean theirs a high demand for it to be so expensive. I do own two both 1996 GTX, GSX.

up in your area I assume the prices can be pretty steep, the first one's description didn't sound that bad for up in the PNW.

So I texted the guy this is what he told me.

"I can run it and we can do compression test.
It's pretty much Winterized. That fuel additive makes it smoke a lot more but it's a cleaner also.Would need to fill the tank full to dilute it so it wouldn't smoke so bad and have full power.And I may be wrong it may still have full power and clean up the smoking once it's ran for a bit. I was done for the season so that's why I did it."

It's almost sound like the top end needs rebuild! What do you guys think? Or what else would make it smoke? Or if compression over 150 is it good? He also mentioned the compression was over 150 but he couldn't remember. He agreed to a test. But this whole smoke thing is getting to me!

It's a 2 stroke. It's soppost to smoke, and part of winterizing a jetski is fogging the motor and that will make it smoke like crazy. Smoke is a good thing, it's when they don't smoke is when u got problems. Now, he could be trying to cover up a leaky inner crank seal but some skis crank seals have been leaking for years with no real side affects but some more smoke.

If he has winterized it and used fogging oil, yes it will smoke more. This is not a bad thing. It will clear up after a quick ride. If he is willing to let you lake test the xp then I feel he is not trying to hide anything from you. Worth going to look at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back