1996 Seadoo GSX - Fuel/Oil Display reading low always

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochi

Hello. I am new to this site, thanks to my friend Laze who told me to come register here because it is a very useful site.

I have a problem with my 96 seadoo gsx and I want to find out how I can go about fixing it. My fuel & oil display reads that the tanks are always low even when i fill up to the top. I'm no mechanic but my guess is some type of sensors in the tank not giving the correct reading?

Would I need to change the wiring harnesses to the digital display or only some sensor in the tanks? Please let me know why my display isnt reading correctly. I would appreciate it so I can have my friend tackle this. :confused:

sensor....

Your right, it sounds like your tank float is sticking. There is a float in a tube, with a set of magnets on it, when the fuel rises, the ohms changes, sending a signal that changes your fuel reading.
I don't know how hard it's going to be to get to, buy on the fuel pick up tube, you'll need to loosen the bottom clamp and pull the fuel baffle tube out. It should be at least 12 inches long, so make sure you have the clearance. Then, once it's out. Look on the bottom of the tube. You'll see, on the sides at the bottom, a little hole where you can stick a small nail (brad) or a paper clip to release the bottom cap. When you do, look inside. You'll see a long cicuit board looking thing and your float. Dump it up and tap to make the float come out. There should be some magnets (4 I think) on the sides. Their small and round. If they are dirty, clean them. Also, you'll want to put the float in a cup of water to make sure it floats.
Inspect everything you can and after cleaning, put it back together. Before you put it in the boat. You can set up the ohms on a multi tester and see what the readings are when you tip the tube up and down, the reading should go up and down also to show it's getting a good signal.
That's a lot to write but I hope it gives you a picture. Mine quite working too, (1997 Challenger), but I really don't worry about it since I never use a full tank of gas in one day. I did try and fix mine. But it's gonna have to be replaced..........not worth the money, right now anyway......
Good luck!:cheers:

i believe that my 96 gti is doing the exact same thing. that tube is crazy long and i could not get it all the way out. anyway, i believe i am going to try again when my tank is not full.

Pylon....

Yeah, I thought it might be hard to take out, after looking at the exploded views of it. In my boat, all I have to take out is the ski pylon, then it will pull right out. Unfortunatly, on mine, it was the circuit board piece inside. I"ve seen it on e-bay, not that expensive to replace. KustomKarl said his magnets were dirty and he got it working o.k............
Good luck!......:cheers:

Once the tube is out of the fuel tank check to be sure the magnets ( 4 of them )are in place. 9 out of 10 times the magnets fall off the float. If this is the case, us a strong magnet to pick up the magnets in the bottom of the tank.

Karl

i sitll havent worked on my ski due to work but i am going to check out my gas tank maybe this weekend and i will keep you posted on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back