1994 Seadoo GTX - Fuel Tank Removal Help please, replacing fuel tube so gas gauge works

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejiz

Hi,

Could anyone be so kind to help me remove this fuel tank?

1 - The tank can't come out from the rear towards the engine - no way I'm removing the engine to do this job - just saying
2 - The oil tank sits on top of gas tank and oil fill tube rises 2" inches above it - where the user can fill it when removing the seat ( i think this part is what is holding the whole combo fuel/oil tank from moving forward???????????) what holds it?
3 - not taking steering off, that doesn't make sense with this model.

I figured I'd start with taking filler tube off from fill location.

Nope, lifting down there is an internal tube that guides the fuel down and that tube extends into the tank. You can see the connections for the metal chain that holds gas cap, it's that tube that i am dealing with. I can't just remove it at that location.

Only location left - the gas tank. As per picture there isn't enough space to back it out?

Should I just ram jet it back and force it out? Hopefully the internal tube isn't that long? I'm working on it while it's on the trailer.

Lastly the straps are off the tank but it won't move forward.

Can anyone confirm that the tube I'm taking off must come off by pulling on it hard at tank??obviously clamps loosened.
Then how does tank come forward so i can replace the long tube, anyone done this job , I bought brand new the tube.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 23
I haven't done one of these but I have on the 2-seaters that use a similar tank.
1. All hoses must be removed and taken out.
2. Oil tank sits on the top of the fuel tank in kind of a pocket and needs to be removed.
3. Get the tank far enough out the front to remove the fuel sending unit.
4. Wrestle the tank out the front.

thanks for reply appreciate it.

So two visible rubber straps were taken off but there was one more.....upon further investigation.....

at the oil tank location........ which obviously held down whole tank.....

so... that helps....

i still can't move tank forward ....

so will try and remove oil filler neck tube so it is disconnected next.....

will use some sort of STRAP TO HOLD OIL TANK UP...

because oil tank is just placed on top of fuel TANK

IS MY GUESS

so if i can some how dislodge the fuel tank from under the oil tank and hold it up..

so when i put the fuel tank back in , it fits underneath?????????????????????????????

I don't know... still have the fuel inlet tube attached.

Can you get to it by removing steering system and pulling it straight up and out. Im talking about the fuel baffle.

i'm not sure if i can, i haven't tried the steering system removal.

so just rank pig the fuel inlet hose(filler neck hose) out of the tank eh.

thanks moderator. i believe this is a 2 seater if not 3. but i don't know alot about these.

cool , 3 seater - well i gotta get the job done.. i'm hoping it eventually moves forward then i can take the fuel lines off at the front instead of taking them off right now in their current position.

thanks for help.

Hi guys

Just to follow up,

you have to muscle the fuel tank rubber inlet tube out hard to get that inner tube to come out.

you have the 3 straps to un- do..

undo the fuel sending unit electronic connector of course

you can then pull the tank forward

the oil tank does need to come up slightly to get out of it's "pocket" from fuel tank.

IT will stay suspended but I used a bungy cord to be a little safer.

pry off the tubes after labelling 1,4 .

pull the tank forward and you can remove it.

I found the screen destroyed and a weight in the bottom of the tank.

probably should of dumped all the old fuel out and retrieved those parts. cleaned the tank out type thing.

makes me wonder if the bottom could be cut off and a new magnet bought then somehow reattach the bottom , it may just work fine?

anyway I don't have the tool to take those fuel clamp lines off and re-use them. So hoping i can pry them down off and just buy some 1/2" flat head clamps. and just tighten them down.

hopefully this helps someone !!! as there was nothing on the net video wise!!!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 20
Fuel lines removed at front, easy... twist off old fuel clamps, buy news one. Label new pump, test it first with ohm meter, yup works. re-attach fuel lines matching the numbers. Same location as old pump. re-attached all hold down cords in their correct location grove. mounted connect for fuel pump on the rail so it sits vertical. tightened down fuel hoses to filler tube. tested by flipping ignition and gauge moved up registering very little gas which is what it was at! Success so glad... no steering handle removal needed!!

Looks like old tube could have the bottom cut off, buy a new magnet and then seal up the bottom and add fuel mesh.... then test!! IT COULD WORK!?!?!?!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg