12-Volt Power Installation Outlet for Sea-Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

3ftDeep

I finally installed a 12-volt power outlet on my 2012 Sea-Doo GTR 215, and I'm loving it! For $55 I don't know why Sea-Doo doesn't make this an option with purchase of a ski. It only took an hour (and 2 drill holes). If you want to see how it's done, check out our YouTube Channel, 3ftDeep. If you like our videos, please subscribe!

http://youtu.be/cvhz2zhYw08

55$? heck more like less than 10$. Pick up a 12 volt cigarette socket at Wally Mart for less than 10, crimp a couple of connectors on, attach to battery, done.
Ps
BRP must have had a team of engineers who had nothing to do to design such a monstrosity of a battery hold down assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't think its the actual charging socket that cost $55 it'd be more of the BRP stamp but that's just my thoughts ..

You can save a few bucks pulling all the parts together yourself, but I was impressed with the quality of the cable and the in-line fuse that came with it. When it's only a few extra bucks, I like to stick with the OEM stuff as much as possible.

Oem for a charging socket? seriously? You must be a BRP dealer or associated with the manufacturer. Seadoo keeps a lot of secrets such as only their oil will work properly,(very secretive of actual oil equiv.), making one go to dealer to clear codes, not detailing how to do oil change in manuals etc. It isn't rocket science to maintain one of these.

I, as well, prefer to stay OEM if reasonable. This kit looked like good value and worth the extra dollars. If you don't agree fine but don't criticize or state that one has to be "associated" with BRP just because they prefer that option.

Oem for a charging socket? seriously? You must be a BRP dealer or associated with the manufacturer. Seadoo keeps a lot of secrets such as only their oil will work properly,(very secretive of actual oil equiv.), making one go to dealer to clear codes, not detailing how to do oil change in manuals etc. It isn't rocket science to maintain one of these.

I'm not a dealer, but I do favour OEM parts for my Sea-Doo, and my cars. I'll buy aftermarket parts only if they meet the following two criteria: 1) There must be proof that the part is superior to the OEM part (i.e. not just the manufacturer's claim), and 2) It must be "significantly" cheaper than the OEM part. Most aftermarket parts satisfy the #2 criterion, but usually fail the #1 criterion in time. I also add up the time it takes to collect all the parts, when there are a number of parts in the system. With that in mind, I usually buy aftermarket parts about 25% of the time.

By the way, we captured the only time we had a part failure on one of our rides this year in this YouTube video ...http://youtu.be/85k6yVWb_J0 . It was an aftermarket part.

Thanks for all the interest in this thread. I'm curious about all these ultra-cheap parts, though. A marine-grade receptacle at West Marine is $22. That doesn't include the fuse, fuse holder, cabling, etc. That's the sort of place I go to compare prices. If there's a cheaper marine store, please let us know. It would be very useful. Thanks!

Thanks for all the interest in this thread. I'm curious about all these ultra-cheap parts, though. A marine-grade receptacle at West Marine is $22. That doesn't include the fuse, fuse holder, cabling, etc. That's the sort of place I go to compare prices. If there's a cheaper marine store, please let us know. It would be very useful. Thanks!

I never price West Marine as they are typically overpriced. Searched Amazon and a marine outlet is $8 delivered if you are a prime member. A weatherproof fuse holder is $2.88 for a 5 pack as an add on item and the wire I would buy at my local hardware store for about 20 cents per foot. I cannot link Amazon here so if you search by the wording below you will find them.

Blue Sea Systems 12 Volt Dash Socket

Scosche 0400ATCFH16-5 ATC Fuse Holder 16 Gauge 5 Pack

Guys, I think we are being over critical here. I do understand both points of view, and actually side more with the do it yourself approach. However we're comparing apples to oranges, the OP has a new ski, we have ski's that are over 15 years old. I think if I had a new or newer ski I would probably side with the factory installed kit, just different points of view, if you can afford to spend $12,000.00 plus for a new ski you can afford $55.00 for a factory kit, if you're riding a $1500.00 ski aftermarket is good enough.

Personally, the few times I have needed an accessory outlet I've used an outlet connected to a couple of spring clamps clipped to the battery.

Lou

Guys, I think we are being over critical here. I do understand both points of view, and actually side more with the do it yourself approach. However we're comparing apples to oranges, the OP has a new ski, we have ski's that are over 15 years old. I think if I had a new or newer ski I would probably side with the factory installed kit, just different points of view, if you can afford to spend $12,000.00 plus for a new ski you can afford $55.00 for a factory kit, if you're riding a $1500.00 ski aftermarket is good enough.

Personally, the few times I have needed an accessory outlet I've used an outlet connected to a couple of spring clamps clipped to the battery.

Lou

Depends on the individual. I dropped $30K on a brand new boat and installed 4 of these do it yourself outlets. Two being the weatherproof 12volt and two having the usb chargers. All were bought off Amazon. Two years later and still work great. Spend around $30 compared to over $200. But like I said on my initial post, who cares on the amount the OP spent if that is what he wanted. Just more options out there that work just as well. The money I saved bought me a brand new 4 blade prop!! (also an aftermarket.... Turning Point... LOL)

I installed the seachoice stainless steel 12v accessory outlet that comes with stainless map light/cigar lighter, it's nice to have a simple light handy to illuminate the deck as a courtesy light, and the power outlet is good for using my 100Watt spotlight. This outlet also doubles as my battery maintainer port and my battery maintainer is connected to this outlet as I type this (MPEM is disconnected).

The fuse for this circuit is placed within a few inches of the positive battery terminal , for safety.

Fuse size selection and wire gauge:

Since Watts = Amps x Volts, then 100W spotlight/12.5 Volt battery=8 ADC current, thus 10A fuse at the battery positive terminal is large enough for my 100Watt spotlight. I may have used #12AWG, which is good for 20Amps., or #14AWG wire, good for 15Amps, don't recall at the moment. This was 2-conductor stranded copper marine grade wire.

The distance of the power outlet from the battery fuse is in excess of 6ft and unsure if any outlet/wire kit is designed to meet my particular requirements?

Sorry for blasting OP about OEM Seadoo parts. I'm pissed that they won't do a thing for my 2012 stained OEM seat. Apparently this happens on alot of late model Seadoos You are not supposed to get the machine wet I suppose from what customer factory service rep tells me. So why go to all the expense to install an accessory socket. Been boating for more than 30 years and never had upholstery get mold stains such as on my Seadoo which is stored dry other than when out on it.

Sorry for blasting OP about OEM Seadoo parts. I'm pissed that they won't do a thing for my 2012 stained OEM seat. Apparently this happens on alot of late model Seadoos You are not supposed to get the machine wet I suppose from what customer factory service rep tells me. So why go to all the expense to install an accessory socket. Been boating for more than 30 years and never had upholstery get mold stains such as on my Seadoo which is stored dry other than when out on it.

No problem, it's all good. The guy I ride with hates it when I buy OEM stuff, too! By the way, I'm laughing about your comment about your stained seat. You should see my GreenHulk thread on that issue when a teenager with a "Triangle" bikini left a dark grey stain on my white seat! Check out the GreenHulk forum Sea-Doo Open Discussion Forum titled: "How to remove bathing suit fabric stain from white vinyl?" I tried about 12 different products and none of them worked. The stain remains completely untouched.

Yup. "link" didn't work.

I'm trying to get used to this Forum. For some reasons the links turn to gibberish after they're posted. This happens either as hyperlinks, or pasted directly in the message. Any ideas how this can be avoided?

The site shrinks them down to save room within posts. Also, many outside posts are against the rules. The "giberish" links work fine.

The site shrinks them down to save room within posts. Also, many outside posts are against the rules. The "giberish" links work fine.

Probably posting to "GreenHulk" is against the rules. Can't say I blame them for that one, if it is.

We don't do Greenhulk links. Though the site can have decent info, they are NOT family friendly from any sense if the word. Basically, any link that takes the user to another forum is against the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back