110HP Motor Issue...Big or Small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjackson

I have a motor issue and I am not sure if it is a big problem or small problem. I was out with the boat yesterday and everything was running fine. after about a 1/2 hour or so one of my engines started acting funny. It would only rev up to 3500rpm and then it would start chugging between 3500rpm and 2500rpm. I stop running the engine and took my time getting back to the marina on the other engine.
When I checked it at the marina I found out that one if the water hoses had kinked and split allowing water to shoot into the motor compartment when running that engine. I also noticed it seemed to be running at a higher rpm than normal when I started it.

So I was wondering if I replaced that hose will everything go back to normal or is there a chance I fried my motor?
Compression in both cylinders is still 150psi. and I didn't get any warning beeps

Any help would be appreciated

I think it’s 2 unrelated issues, and neither are an “Engine” issue.

First… fix the hose.

The second problem is most likely your neutral safety switch. There is a small switch that tells the boat if you are in neutral or drive. When in neutral… it only lets the engine run up to 3500 rpm’s. The switch is known to go bad, and stick. It’s mounted on your control lever... so check it out.

dr honda you replied to one of my posts today titled" is it an electrical or fuel issue" and i just read what you were saying here about the saftey switch and yesterday when i was messing with mine it wont start in drive but when in nuetral it would get more rpms than in drive so could i have that problem too?

Hose is fixed, pretty easy to do.

For the neutral safety switch I cannot find it anywhere. Is it under the throttle controls or is it visible?

I started the engine to see if the hose fix helped but when I started it, it went to 3500rpm in a matter of 2-3 seconds. I changed the spark plugs as well and this didn't help.

I do believe it could be that switch but would somebody eb able to let me know where it is?

Thanks for all the help
JJ

Hose is fixed, pretty easy to do.

For the neutral safety switch I cannot find it anywhere. Is it under the throttle controls or is it visible?

I started the engine to see if the hose fix helped but when I started it, it went to 3500rpm in a matter of 2-3 seconds. I changed the spark plugs as well and this didn't help.

I do believe it could be that switch but would somebody eb able to let me know where it is?

Thanks for all the help
JJ

Are you saying it goes to 3500 RPMs when it is suppose to be at idle, or that's all the higher it will rev? If that’s all the higher it will rev… then yes… it’s the switch. You have to pull up the control levers, and it’s mounted to the forward/reverse lever.

dr honda you replied to one of my posts today titled" is it an electrical or fuel issue" and i just read what you were saying here about the saftey switch and yesterday when i was messing with mine it wont start in drive but when in nuetral it would get more rpms than in drive so could i have that problem too?

You have a carb problem.

Yeah when I start it it goes to 3500 rpm almost right away. I can give it some gas and it will rev higher but I didn't want to rev it to much just in case.

I have the same issue sometimes (when out of the water, not an issue when it's in the water). If you look at where the levers are actually actuating the carbs, you may notice it doesn't retract all the way as it should. I noticed that before I bought my boat (that the one lever was all the way back and the other was not) but in the water it runs fine. When I pull the boat and flush the engines, the port engine revs around 3500, but the starboard stays closer to 1500 or 2000, or whatever it's supposed to be at. I have no idea what causes it to stick, but I bet you'd see a difference between the two if you look where they're actuating the carbs.

Adam

I switched the Neutral sensor last night and still have the same problem. I did notice a white smoke coming from the engine. I tried to pin point where but was unable to do so. Could this be a cylinder or O-ring issue? Maybe a cracked exhaust? I am so confused, I think I might be getting in over my head here

Both before and after. I have only had the boat a few weeks and when I bought it was 150. When I thought I over heated it I wanted to see what the compression was(I was worried I screwed it up) and it was 150.

When I started it in the water ot would rev up to 3000rpm right away. When I hooked the hose up to it and ran it it did the same thing but up to 3500rpm.

First I would like to say thanks for the help so far I appreciate the time.

The passager side motor is the one at 3500rpm, giving no gas what so ever. I could rev it more but I didn't want to go full throttle.

The driver side motor revs at 2200rpm (average).

When I bought the boat both engines reach around 2200 rpm. After a short ride on Sunday it started to act up. When I made it back to the marina I checked in water and it did the samething. So wether I am in the water or not I still get that same issue.

Also on Sunday I noticed a burnt smell, or like the motor was running very hot. This might be normal as I never checked it out that quickly after running the boat.

Do these boats normally smoke. I notice a whitish smoke coming from the engine compartment as well.

are all the plugs burning equally. check to see if one is running hot or more white in color, if so you may have an air leak somewhere at the intake side of the motor.

Actually when the hose kinked and split it caused the exhaust to overheat and melt all the exhaust plastic/rubber and hoses.

Thanks for everyones help...again

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back