1,2,ALL Switch with Dual Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

howie099

Premium Member
Premium Member
I want to simplify this to make this an easy hookup. I have 98 Sportster w/dual engines all other dual engines seem to be pretty close to the same. The rectifier charing wire for each engine go to the + starter cable on each engine according to the diagram. The accessories, MPEM, and rest of the electical are directly connected to the battery.

So you take the main power cables form each engine and the 3-4 smaller power accessory cables and put them all to the COMM port on the 1,2,ALL switch. Then run a + cable from the 1 & 2 side of the switch to each battery.

To me that would be the only way actually put all equipment off the 1 battery system and be able to use either of the 2 batteries as needed.

Did I miss something in all the other posts? I am guessing if you want to run a device of a specific battery you would wire it to that battery, but than if you select the OFF setting you reall wouldn't kill everything since you bypassed the switches funciton to kill everything.

Here are 2 baic diagrams with the charging and starting. I only put the POS info since the ground is not an issue.

I think this is right let me know if I'm wrong. A simple digram makes it easy to follow.

Attachments

• basic wiring.jpg
    basic wiring.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 89
  • switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 93
Sorry ive been away with a new baby in the house for a week. Seems im the one who answers the most in the modify section. You have it exactly right. Thats is the same thing i did on my twin engine boat when i replaced the factory switch and added a 2nd battery. I hook everything to the common post on the switch. There really is no need to hook anything directly to the battery.Keeping it on the switch allows you to truly kill all power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back