04 GTX won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrrgggg!!!

Ok, my 1995 SPX starts but was spilling oil. The 1994 GTX will not start. I took the carburator off of my 1995 SPX and put it on the 1994 GTX. The 1994 GTX started right up, wow. You think I would be happy, but here is the problem. The 1995 GTX is shooting oil out the exhaust in large quantities, which would leave me to believe the carborator is what is causing the oil problem in both the 1994 GTX and 1995 SPXand for sure it was causing the fuel problem in the 1994 GTX. Only, I don't understand how would the carborator could cause that issue. Do I just have an oil problem in both Seadoo's?

Yes it does seem that the carb that does not work will need some help, As for the oil issue if both machines have not been started in a long time this may be normal for them to spit oil out the back. You need to take them to the water and ride them for a while and it should eventualy clear up may take more than 10 minutes. take extra plugs with you as oil may foul the plugs. :cheers:

Thank You

First let me say thank you to everyone for their help. The 1995 SPX no matter if it sits for a day or six months always smoke, to the point if you start it in a cove, it will fill the cove with smoke. The 1994 GTX has not been run in 2 years, but we started it 5-6 times and probably got a quart of very dark oil. This seemed excessive, should it pour out like that?

Well in a perfect world it would not leak oil like that. It would still be a new machine but it has age on it and if it leaks just 1 drop of oil every 30 minutes to an hour it will add up over a couple of years to be like what you are describing. It will adventualy get to the point to where the engine will not even turn over because of the oil, but even at that some people still use the ski. I would just keep useing the ski untill the oil consumption becomes to bad that I can not deal with the problem any more it may take 1 month to 10 years for it to become that bad. :cheers:

That make sense, when I changed the carb, could I have done something to create all that oil, the spark plugs don't have a mark on them, they look brand new. Could the oil be not mixing with the fuel an going straight thru? Sounds like I should get them running, trade them in and get new one's, would you agree?

Well if you have the money to buy new that would be nice but if you are like me and would have to finance or even if you had cash I would have to think about it hard as to what my priorities were and if a new ski could fit into my budget and that is what I wanted I would go for it. It is all in what you want and how bad you want it. :cheers:

That make sense, when I changed the carb, could I have done something to create all that oil, the spark plugs don't have a mark on them, they look brand new. Could the oil be not mixing with the fuel an going straight thru? Sounds like I should get them running, trade them in and get new one's, would you agree?
you or your carbs could not of caused the oil problem. I would fix them both and you shoud be able to allways have at least one of them running if you keep up on them chances are they will both be running most of the time with less than half the expence of the payments of 1 new one if you keep them up your self. It is all in what you want. :cheers:

I appreciate the input, I have the same feelings, but I also want to use them this summer. Is there anything besides a small leak that will cause the oil problem and where do you think (or is the most likely) the leak may be? Again I appreciate your help and your time

It is probbly leaking at the center crankshaft seals and to reair that it may be cheaper to buy a new engine. The one that did not smoke that bad all of the time I would not wory about it now. The other that you say smokes all the time we would have to troubleshoot it to see if it was something easier than crank shaft seals. If it were me I might even wait till the fall on the one that is not to bad and look into it as there is no sence in leting it be down in the summer if it is not hurting any thing. :cheers:

OK, stupid question. For problem elimination I had changed the carb from my 1995 SPX to my 1994 GTX, according to my repair manual the carburators are different. Looks like the engine size is different (1995 showing 657x 1994 showing 587) Am I wrong or have I really screwed up and could this have caused the oil issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back