thoughts or opinion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

the floor guy

OK so i have 2 XP's 98 and 00 and i have 3 kids i want to be able to ride with one kid on with me. my to younger ones its not so bad but if i put my wife or 13 year old daughter on with me my xp's are way way to unstable, me and my wife already had nightmare episode where we flipped it and couldnt get back on together. i want to sell or trade at least one ski and get something more stable,
so i been talking to guy that has a 98 gtx and will trade me for my 00 XP talking to him on the phone he told me runs great and it has a rebuilt SBT motor that was put in last year so out of warranty but says only like 6 hours on it, so i meet up with him at the lake, he gets there and im looking at his ski, it looks real clean well taken care of inside and out, could eat off the motor. But his motor was already warm, the hour meter says like 184 but i noticed a sticker inside the hull that said top end 4/1/11 176hr So i look at his and then hes like well lets put them in the water but he didnt want to look at mine out of water. put them in water its calm water and i ride his. it feels so much more stable then my XP, it does feel little more lose when u get going fast but still stable and turns lot sharper. maybe im being paranoid but on way back in threw no wake just coasting and i was thinking it kinda sounded sputtering or cutting out some at 2500 rpms but sounded normal at idle and 3000+. it felt fine ridding it.
my daughter was there with him while i was ridding it and said he just looked at it, opened hood and started it. he never seemed like he had to or wanted to ride it, it was getting dusk out tho and he said its to late now
idk i think im just being paranoid but worries me trading good running ski for something might end up being problem. but guess that is risk with anything even buying another different used one. when if i dont get info that make me back out, we meet again im going to do a compression test, the two auto parts store buy me have bad loaner meters.
guy seemed real honest talking to him, idk im thinking the whole top end rebuild sticker thing to him saying it was sbt rebuild worries me. as well as it already being warm engine. im so uneasy idk if i should trade i know my 00 books for more then his 98 but at same time dont think i can sell it for same price i can find one for. ive been looking night and day. i went to talk to someone about selling my 98 i was asking 2800 bad vts module not motor, not that u need it but they tried talking me down to 21 then 2400 max saying it blue books at $1950

i do remember him saying he upped the carb jetting one on so the throttle is more responsive

whats your thoughts?

i was looking into maybe a step for my xp but still just dont know if i think its stable enough

I would check with the guy and ask him to be honest. Usually when a motor is already warm, it means that ski has some bad cold starting problems. When I bought my ski it had a starter that needed rebuilt. The guy was honest and told me about the problem before I drove 5 hrs to look at it.

I can also add that GTX's are stable beasts. And very easy to board in the case of someone falling off.

ya I'm just concered about problems in future. I'm sure compression will be great now with new top end but 184 hrs who really knows about bottom end reliability

would u pass or if running good now take the chance isn't 184 getting up there on 951

Ya some people are honest some are not. I was on another forum last week. See this guy having a issue w his ski. Well come to find out he has a bad top end and maybe bad crank bearings. But compression still 120 and runs fine for now. Since he's a locall near by me I was scrolling Craigslist and found instead of fixing he is going to ruin someone's summer. Has it posted for way to much and not one thing about the prob just all about the good.

When I bought my 2 xps one worked n the other didn't so much. He thought it was starter but unsure so he sold me 1 ski n double trailer n gave other ski said it ran great last year just would not start this year. Turns out it needed a motor so after that I know have 2 good running xps for about 3k

I would think that if the ski had a rebuilt motor you should be able to call SBT and check it out. If their records don't confirm I would back away. If however they do sounds like a good deal.

Lou

well im thinking it wasnt a total rebuild
but could have been sbt top end or at least i know the top end was rebuilt idk i like i said runs great compression great but what about bottom end at 184 hours

brandon what was that ski? im in dfw not to to far from u, ive seen u on another fourm, i like that forum but the couch joke get old and there are few jerks that have nothing good to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back