Seaweed prevention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK Sea-Doo

Is there an intake grate that can make in so it's a lot harder to suck up seaweed? Because on our lake it happens almost every time... Any suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Someone wrapped their grate with a screen. Don't recall hearing the results of doing so.

Any grate by design is suppose to let things (aka water) into and through it. As a result anything in the water us welcome to join the party.

Grates without "top loader" type design are probably best as far as generically limiting the ingestion of debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

i too have heard the chicken wire of a mesh inside the intake grate.. but there was also, i think it was doc, who suggested to stay away from it.. i cant remember the reasoning why but it sounded logical at the time haha

the only thing i do when it comes to seaweed is to put it in reverse and git it a couple raaaapps on the throttle and 90% of it is removed.. what isnt removed and still causes a problem needs to be dealt with by hand

That's why they made the hydro surge grate. If it gets a load of grass... all you do, is hit the throttle... and it sucks it in. (and spits it out)

But... as you know... that grate is known to fail.

Unfortunately... with grass... all you can do, is shut off the engine... and hope it falls out.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience with the dreaded hydrilla, it's the sucking action of the pump that actually gets the stuff stuck to the bottom. Even if you have a grate there, I would think much of that crap would still cling on as it's all tangled in itself. Once a few of the strands get inside the pump body, they'll keep the entire mass stuck there. Now chicken fence may prevent some of the weeds from making it into the pump, but my theory is that it takes very little to keep a mass of that crap stuck to the hull. Afterall, there really isn't much pulling it down.

I'm surprised mattydipps had any luck dislodging the stuff by putting it in reverse, as that still causes the pump to suck the weeds in. Personally, I don't think the redirected water from my reverse gate has enough velocity to push any of the weeds away from my intake grate. If you try anything, let me know. I'd be really curious to hear how it works. Good luck!!

PS You probably know this, but for anyone else reading: If you get a large enough mass of this stuff stuck to your grate, it can cut off the water supply entering your pump. It will feel like severe cavitation. Since our engines are cooled by the pump, this could (and has for me) stop all cooling. Your engine will run, and barely push you, but you take the risk of overheating your motor. It can be tempting to limp back to shore to dislodge the stuff, but if you do, make sure the ski is still "peeing".

I have had this problem as well in some of our rivers. It literally "sucks". I have had to dive under the boat and dig stuff out just to get back to the dock. A buddy of mine mentioned using a bbq type skewer to stick in there to dislodge stuff. Not sure that is good. I have heard of grates that you can hook up that hang down like a fork but I am not to sure how much that would help.

Personally... I think chicken wire, may make the problem worse.

Going with cwingnu's idea... I know some guys will make a rake type device. That way... you can turn off the engine, and then just reach under the transom with the rake, and clear the grate.

Has anyone with a Challenger like mine ever used the weedless system? For those that haven't seen it, it's basically a 3 pronged fork that sits up in line with the grate and can be activated to swing down and push away any clumps of sticking debris. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it this year, but I have my doubts as to its efficacy. Only thing I've ever had it do was leak and cause cavitation :p Has anyone had any luck with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back