Sea Doo Speedster 2007 not charging battery, bilge pump not working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessa

Hi Friends!
I'm new to boat repair, but I fix a heck of a lot of iPhone motherboards. (iPad Rehab Microsoldering on YouTube)
My 2007 Seadoo Speedster got her fiberglass bottom professionally replaced this winter (motor removed to flip the boat) and started just fine this summer. After a few times out--battery voltage was low, would not start. Replaced battery, started fine a few more times, and now will not start. I assume this is a charging issue. I have no idea what the components of the charging system are called, what they look like, how they work etc---total noob.

Is there anyone out there that would like to help a mom get her boat running again?

While I have your ear.
Issue number 2---bilge pump stopped working sometime before last season, prior to that it worked fine when switched on manually. I'd love help troubleshooting that as well. I do not know if the two problems are related.

THANK YOU to anyone that takes the time to respond. I know that helping beginners can be solidly in the "not my cup of tea" category for many.
Jessa

Hi Jessa, i watched some of the youtube on ipad Rehab. I did a little work with the microscope/soldering in my time so i appreciate some of the challenges.

For your boat (Speedster 150 i guess) I am not familiar at all with your boat. But on the bilge pump, it failed before any of the work. So i am guessing either the pump just wore out and failed, wire to the pump broke.

For the battery discharge problem, i just have some questions. Do you have a multimeter?
Can you measure the voltage at the battery?
Do you have a battery charger?

Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help you.

The '07 Speedster has the Rotax 4TEC engine in it, right?

You might get better engine-specific answers posting in the '4TEC Sea-Doo Boats' sub-forum.

We Mercury engine boaters are quite different... regarding the engine.

For issue #1 -Get a battery at rest voltage reading, get a battery while cranking to start voltage reading, and get a battery while engine running voltage reading. These readings will help determine if you have a weak battery and/or possibly a bad voltage regulator which is not charging the battery after the engine starts.

For issue #2 -Bilge pumps are very simple 2-wire pumps. On our boats they are dual triggered. One trigger is a water-sensor or water float switch which is automatic. The other trigger is manual switch on the dash. If the pump doesn't come on when you hit the switch... check the wires, check the fuse (if equiped)... but most likely a dead pump. With a known working pump (works off switch) you can then test the auto-trigger... either with water in hull to trigger sensor or by lifting up the float to see that it turns on the bilge pump. Bilge pumps are easy to change. The lower (ususally blue) base of the pump is glued in place and there are two tabs on either side to allow you to pull pump off the base.

Cheers!

The voltage regulator /rectifier could be bad, but what if the stator/magneto is worn out? These 4techs don’t have alternators, so yeah. Maybe try a fuse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back