RXP-X 300 intermittent running issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all,

I have a 2019 RXPX 300.

So a few months ago I took the jetski out (always fresh water) and it was great. Jetski then sat for probably 6 weeks.

When I took it out the next time It still had half a tank of premium gas which I topped up to the brim with more premium. I pulled away from the slip and let it warm up for about 5 mins driving through the no wake zone. As soon as I was out of the no wake zone I gunned it and it got up to 70mph as normal.

I stopped, went to pull away again, and felt like it only had 1/2 power. It wouldn't rev out and only would get to 40mph. Slowly but surely it got better. I would ride for a few minutes and then it felt like what I can only explain as a 'step up' in power. It would go a little faster, and it would rev a little more. Finally after about 30 minutes it was completely back to normal, and stayed that way for the rest of the ride.

I put it down to foul fuel. Seemed a little quick for it to go back but im no expert and the fact it went back to normal after time, and that there was no fault codes or something physically wrong in the engine, it seemed fairly logical that fuel was the issue.

I then took it out a week later. There was still a little fuel left from the ride before and I just wanted to take it for a quick blast before I winterized it.

Exactly the same thing. Seemed like it lost 50% of power. This time was slightly different as it cleared itself after 10 minutes, but when it was bad, it was the same symptoms as before.

Currently it is in the shop getting winterized, and they said they would check over it. I still have about 6 months left on the seadoo warranty so want to ensure that they find something in time for me to get it fixed.

Im just wondering if anyone has seen the same, or similar. Am I right to assume it is probably fuel related.

Thanks in advance!

I had simular issues. For me it was first surging (which was the intercooler was leaking). Then what seemed like a misfire or lack of power. (That was a bad coil)

If it is a coil, you may have 1 plug that looks slightly different to the others. That is how I picked which coil to try to replace first. (It was that coil)

I had simular issues. For me it was first surging (which was the intercooler was leaking). Then what seemed like a misfire or lack of power. (That was a bad coil)

If it is a coil, you may have 1 plug that looks slightly different to the others. That is how I picked which coil to try to replace first. (It was that coil)
Thank you for the advice! The dealer just called me back today to tell me they found that the spark plugs were fouled and this was what was probably causing it. Do you think that this is a reasonable explanation? Im not really mechanically enough inclined to know this myself, but cant help but think that if it was bad plugs, the issue would always be there and would not go away after riding it for a while. Or am I missing something?

Thanks again for the advice, really appreciate it!

It’s a good idea to keep a new set of gapped plugs on the ski
It’s easy a quick to change and you’ll solve the issue at the water instead of on the trailer
You’ll save yourself a lot of headache too
If you remove the plugs at the water inspect them too and if one is suspect switch a coil over at the same time to help further troubleshooting
Bad plugs or coil or fuel pressure don’t give you fault codes as well as leaking intercooler

The 300 plugs fail just as much as the original 4tec plugs do which is quite often. The tell tale sign is when you said it surged back to full power which is pretty common for failing plugs.

I believe that most dealers recommend replacing the plugs annually. Though too much of a bother for some in here, I get mine online and do it after storage for the winter. I first fire it up to burn off the spray I put in the cylinders at the end of season, then swap out for new plugs. I've done it every year since purchased in 2012 and both of my ski's have never had a plug failure. I've also only had one coil fail out of the 6 in my 2 rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back