Motor just cuts out

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwingnut

Hey gang,

Finally got to take this boat out and tube and water ski for an afternoon. About 3-4 times during the day the motor just shutoff and died. All I had to do was re-start and we were good to go. Seemed to happen when under the load of the tube but never was over revving. We would just be moving along and boom, motor would shut off. Would turn the key and start right back up. I know I posted some stuff earlier about hooking up my depth finder but I opted to hook it up to a separate battery rather than tie in into the electronics of the boat. Any ideas? A buddy of mine mentioned a possible vacuum leak?

What engien do you have? Your signature says "200 EFI"... but they didn't make that. The seadoo merc choices are:

200 Optimax (Di system)

210 with carbs

240 EFI (2 versions)

250 Optimax

But... it could have been something as simple as a loose lanyard cap. OR... the throttle guardian is starting to die.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, earned my NOOB points today. Yes it is a 200 Optimax. Thanks for pointing that out. My bad, now for bonus NOOB points, I did not have the lanyard even on. Should that be possible?

OK on the engine. Really.... you weren't that far off. It is a type of "EFI" ... but since it's Direct Injection... they are normally known as Di. (so, 200 Di, or 200 DFi) I just wanted to make sure.

Hummmmmm..... the plot thickens...

If it will run with the lanyard off... someone has played with the electrical in the helm. I'm going to guess that you will find your problem in the wiring.

Let's see......

You have a Utopia... so... pull the back rest, that is in front of the helm, and take a look. There should be a black/yellow wire running around. That's the "Kill" wire that goes back to the ignition. It should be connected to 3 things. The key, the lanyard, and the throttle guardian.

I would cut the wire going to the guardian, and make sure the connections to the lanyard, and the key are clean and tight.

I'm sure you will find your issue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back