Lake Livingston--Texas

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Yeah that's Browder's then. The island isn't too far away from that launch, did you make it out there?

And yeah I cannot see the lake levels increasing any without a week or more of solid rainfall and that ain't too likely from what I'm hearing... that wind we had today was hot and dry, like a blast furnace or something. I may not be able to test ride this RXT again till next spring at this rate, and I hate that cause if it's still acting up I'd like to work on it over the wintertime but right now I'm not sure if it's running right or not just too close to call with no load on the jet pump. Grrrrr!

How's Lake Houston's level holding? I presume the City of Houston won't let it get any lower than their suction pumps, they'll just open the Lake Conroe dam gates even further... I bet Lake Conroe is a site to behold at this point! You can probably race ATV's across the lake bottom there by now! LOL!

- Michael

We went to the lake (Houston) yesterday for some metal detecting. The water is up a little, from the lowest point. Maybe up 2"...

The docks and ramps are still VERY high and dry. No way to get a boat out unless you have a small aluminum boat and launch from the Lake Houston Marina (they extended their ramp with a layer of rock...I wouldn't want to pull my boat out with my rear tires on a rocky driveway).

But it isn't coming up any more. Just holding steady in this area.

Well Drat! :mad:

I'm going to have to take a trip to all the area lakes with my digital camera and take pics of them... this is historic, historically bad! Thanks for the info Scooper.

- Michael

I hear you can still launch at Conroe, on the southwest corner. There is a marina with a floating dock and a really long ramp.

If I was going to Livingston, I would call the state park and see if they are still usable. I think they have 4 or 5 ramps.

Livingston is down about 6 foot from normal. the dock is high and dry right now. I wish I would have pulled the boats off to do some work on them befor the level got too low. I will try to get some pics this week to show everyone the lake level. the last time I was able to ride was back in May before the leve got to low to launch.

I have been itching to fish

R

I'd guess between 6 and 8 feet low actually.... I was up there Oct 2nd and took the following pics at Blanchard's public boat ramp (by Indian Hills Estates). That's alot of water missing I tell ya! Beautiful day, very light breeze low humidity not a cloud in the sky and absolutely NO watercraft on the lake anywhere I could find! I doubt the rains we got this past Sunday made much of a dent at Livingston, though I hear Lake Houston got a little bit of a boost from the rains (like over 1 billion gallons of water by 1 estimate I heard last night on the news!). Houston got much more rainfall than the areas north of Houston... I got maybe 1 inch at my home Sunday, but it was still WONDERFULL! If it'd just do it again now....

Lake Livingston Drought Oct 2nd 2009 010-2.jpgLake Livingston Drought Oct 2nd 2009 012-2.jpgLake Livingston Drought Oct 2nd 2009 001-2.jpgLake Livingston Drought Oct 2nd 2009 005-2.jpgLake Livingston Drought Oct 2nd 2009 008-2.jpg

- Michael

While checking out the lake bed, I even found the remains of a concrete boat ramp... there's a concrete slab that just barely sticks up out of the sand like 8 inches or so at the Indian Hills Marina, and then it's all broken and gone (long ago they must have broken it up and removed as much of the concrete from the ramp as possible.. if it was all there intact today, it'd run right thru the side of the marina building!). Wicked!

- Michael

that slab might be the old hwy 190 road bed that crosses the lake that is good for white bass fishing.

UNBELIEVABLE.......I hope the Great Lakes never get that low, even though I live on an inland lake it's affected by the GL.

Last edited by a moderator:
that slab might be the old hwy 190 road bed that crosses the lake that is good for white bass fishing.

Mmmmm, nope don't think so it's too far from the main road and it's angled into the lake bottom at too high an angle.... has to be an old concrete boat ramp from the look of it. Didn't think to snap a pic of that thing for some reason, oh well. :-(

- Michael

thanks for the pics..man, the water is low in that bay.

I'm told it was far worse during the summer of 2000 when we had that drought... our part of Texas wasn't as dry or hot as it's been here this summer, but the Dallas/Ft Worth area was bone dry that spring and since that's the watershed for Lake Livingston it fell VERY low... I was told people could drive their vehicles down the boat ramp onto the lake bed and drive around. Eeeek!

Of our area lakes, Livingston is still the most full at 83% of capacity according to ABC 13 news last night. Lake Houston is at around 68% of capacity, while they drained Lake Conroe down to around 63% of capacity trying to keep Houston's water level from going below the pumps.

Pray for more rain folks! Ughhhh!

- Michael

Yeah I can't make heads or tails of that site.... all I wanna know is how much above or below the average level the lake is currently. Why is this so hard to find? LOL!

You still living up at Onalaska Rabid? Nice place that, I hope to some day have the money to move up to the lake I so love it there! (sigh!)

- Michael

Those pictures are about what L. Houston looks like. I haven't been down since the rain (been home in bed with head cold all weekend), but friends say it came up 6" overnight. Lake level website says it has come up another 6" since yesterday, so YEAH! That 3" of rain is helping tremendously!

The lake is starting to fill up 1/2 inch at a time...its at 127.39ft normal is around 131-132ft. I extended out my pick up on the sprinkler but if I would have waited I could have saved some money. The water level was right at the tip of the pick up.

mike

We got about 3/4" rain a couple weeks ago, and the lake came up 2.5' (yes FEET, not a typo!). Took about a week for it to come up and level off.

Then last night, we "officially" got .12", but my tupperware on the back patio was just a touch over 2", so hopefully our lake will come up some more, and maybe have the ramps open by next weekend!!!

3/4 " of rain = 2.5 feet of raised water level....amazing.

Must have a lot of run off dumping into it

Yes, it is fed by several creeks and ditches, and the San Jacinto River. Everything that hits the ground south of Conroe (60 miles north?) goes to this lake.

REALLY getting anxious to see how much last night's rain will bring it up. We are just a couple inches away from having the ramps opened up again.

all that rain we got yesterday should bring up the lake a little more. It rained like heck between Kingwood and Cleveland.

Hello Offshore and welcome!!

Lake Livingston is about 5 feet low right now. I haven't been able to get out and ride since im high and dry. There are a couple of ramps still open up on the stumpy north end by me. Not sure what is open down on the deep end by the dam.

Do you take the ski offshore to fish?

Back