Intake grate worth it?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TplusR

Thinking of adding R&D intake grates to both of my 2006 RXT 215's (both are completely stock) but not sure if they're worth the cost. Do they really give 2-3mph on top end?

Thinking of adding R&D intake grates to both of my 2006 RXT 215's (both are completely stock) but not sure if they're worth the cost. Do they really give 2-3mph on top end?

Aftermarket grates are a drag. Loading the prop with more water comes at the cost of drag. To compensate for that drag you need ponies.

Now....having said that...they will allow you to stay hooked up longer in rough water..thereby giving you more speed up top.....in the rough. However...if you're looking for over all top speed....you gotta have the ponies already there that can put that grate to use w/o the cost of the extra drag being a con.

Make sense?

Wanna go faster for lil $....add 4" air intakes and tweek your oem prop to take advantage of the extra r's.

Adding too speed is NOT what an intake grate will do. It forces more water into the pump tunnel to keep the impeller loaded at all times, thus causing more drag. If you ride in choppy conditions you may see an increase in top end due to the grate keeping the fed with water. In smooth glass like water the grate will slow you down unless you make more power to compensate for the drag. I think the biggest benefit I saw from my Riva Top Loader was improved fuel economy in rough water. Kept the ski from constantly loading and unloading the SC and RPMs stayed steady. That also reduces the wear on the SC washers.

So is it worth it? To me it was due to the rough water conditions I rode in regularly. Is it worth it to you? Only you can determine that. If you're looking to just increase top end I'd look else where.

Red2Blue nailed it. If you ride in chop most if the time, then worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the input. It all makes sense. I ride in the bay off of Long Island and most of the time it is pretty calm. Doesn't sound like an intake grate would be worth it for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back