Impeller change and gear oil cone cleaning

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeabossTM

I'm changing the impeller in my 2004 GTI - 720 today and am wondering two things from anyone with experience...

1) Is it okay to clean out the nose cone with brake cleaner? I'd like to ensure there's no extra gunk in there before I reassemble.

2) The manual doesn't call for heat to remove the impeller (and in fact calls for anti seize on reassembly). I can machine a shaft holding tool in an hour or two, but also have a forged vise. Is the tool really necessary or is a vise typically ok to hold on its own without breaking from the point load? I realize that without the tool I'll need to be careful that I don't allow the shaft to drop out of the pump.

Freshwater ski, if it matters.

Belay that request, for myself anyway. I went ahead with the brake cleaner, didn't look like the plastic, etc in the cone was anything special that it would ruin.

Also, I was measuring up a plate to make the shaft holder, when I happened to glance over and noticed that I had some uni strut lengths. The bolt holes in the uni strut are an exact fit to slip over the shaft end. So I'm good there, no need to make anything!

In fact, if anyone in the Niagara On area needs a shaft holding tool let me know and I'll hack this piece in half and donate one to the cause of shade tree mechanics.

aebd026298ec01f2a4576b8150ea2283.jpg

No reason for the shaft holder, just put it in a vise.

Make sure you don’t pinch the thrust bearing on the shaft shoulder when you put it back together.

Thanks, much appreciated. The oil was clean and there was no radial play in the shaft so I didn't disassemble anything further. Spun the new impeller on and just waiting on some thread sealer to oil it back up and leak test. I had to order the anaerobic gasket maker so I just threw the pipe sealer in the same order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back