Depth Gauge location - '05 Sportster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

huttcraft

I've read the threads on here in which others have installed depth gauges in their Sportsters, including Des Power's excellent thread and Dr. Honda's sticky, but they were installing on different dashes with available blanks. I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions for mine.

I have an '05 Sportster 4Tec SCIC. The boat's (annoyingly futuristic) instrument cluster does not seem to leave room for additional gauges (see attached). I'm committed to adding a depth gauge to this thing and have a Hawkeye one the way, but I'd like to avoid an instrument pod if I can. I recall reading of someone mounting the gauge on the port side of the cockpit but that sounds even more involved, and again I'd like it to be within the driver's natural field of view. I'm half-considering trying to mount it right in the middle of the steering wheel.

Can anyone offer me some wisdom here? Where would you mount a 2" gauge? If I have to use a pod, where's the best mounting location for that? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

Attachments

• gaugecluster.jpg
    gaugecluster.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
I just sold my 95 speedster that had a limited dash like yours. I used the HawkEye DS11 Micro Digital which is designed for the PWC. I just used some velcro tape on the back of the digital display and found a place by the cluster to mount the 2.5"x1 display. No holes... Just ran the cable out of the storage area. When I was done for the day, I turned it off and relocated the display to a velcro strip inside the storage box.

I would call Patrick and ask to exchange for the DS11.

David

Thanks David. That's a good suggestion but too late for me: the D10DX just arrived. That said, the reason I opted for the D10DX is that I'd like to have a permanent install.

Can anyone advise how much room is in the steering wheel, if I were to mount it centered in the faceplate?

I have the Hawkeye pod as well but now that I have it in-hand I have to say, unlike the gauge itself, the pod looks pretty chintzy. I'll reluctantly mount the pod on the starboard gunwale if I can't come up with anywhere better.

Anyone else have ideas to share?

Dave

i removed the multi function light doo-dad and made my own (3d printed a little block that goes between the big gauges with holes and labels for cheap led lights) then i wired that little block up and put the depth gauge where the mfd was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back