Decisions, decisions...what to do? 98/99 Speedsters

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilimE75

Hey, all.

First time poster and new to jet boats...although I've owned and have experience with more traditional I/O boats.

I'm interested in getting into a small/ish jet boat and have 2 in my sights right now, a 98 Speedster, and a 99 Speedster SK. I've been reading the net and watching Youtube for all things repair/maintenance on these things.

Haven't looked at either yet in person, I'm here for insight and advice. PS, I know from the 2 mentioned here that the 98 is preferable because of the 787s, as opposed to the 99 SK's 717s. Both appear to be in good, clean condition based on photos, my questions are mainly structural and mechanical.

The 99 SK is local and the seller claims he was out with it recently when 1 of the engines quit and won't re-start. It sounds like it's locked up from the quick conversation I've had with him. His asking price is low enough where even if a complete rebuilt engine was needed, I'd still be ahead of what others go for in my general area.

The 98 is 3 hours away, but I sure do like it. Advertisement claims it is good to go. It's also priced really well from what I can tell, which makes me wonder just how good it is and it being 3 hours away, not too easy to stop by for a look. For comparison, the next 98 Speedster is/was $1500 more, and it sold before I could get to it.

Now, my questions...

1. I'm not so much a speed freak like I once was, so even though the 787s are preferred, I don't particularly see a major benefit over the 717s...am I wrong?

2.a If I bought the 99 SK, and it did need a replacement engine...it looks like about $800 would do it. I'll round it up to $1k for shipping and random odds and ends. I'd handle the labor for install. What other things should be replaced at the same time, what would those cost?

2.b I'm looking at SBT for the engine, any other sources I should be looking at?

3. I'm assuming both of these are oil injected. Should I convert to pre-mix?

4. Aside from a water test and compression check, what else should I look at mechanically? I know what to look for cosmetically, steering, impellers, wear sleeves... and all that. My biggest concern is not knowing these engines and what to look for.

5. Do either of these have any wood anywhere in their construction?

Thank you, all.

Do not go to premix, not doable with a jet boat. Secondly, I seriously tell all my customers to only look at skis/ jet boats that are running / driving in the water. Have you ever pulled a motor out of a jet boat? It is very difficult! I only have horror stories to tell of boats / skis being purchased that were disasters. People rarely sell their boats for good reasons.

Seconding POPPSs' comment. Assume it needs a total rebuild. Speaking from experience. I bought a 97 Challenger that was "good to go", "just rebuilt". Died shortly after I purchased it. Carbs were messed up and damage in the top end.

If you love projects then I'd say go for it. The 787's are incredibly easy to take apart and diagnose once you get them out of the boat. Which I did with a winch and a swingset lol. If you plan on keeping it for a while the knowledge you gain from the rebuild is invaluable.

So assume it needs the carbs rebuilt, top end redone, carbon ring replacement, and impeller/wear ring replacement. Hopefully nothing with the crank. I'm sure, like me, youll find many other things along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back