Carb rebuild, anti tamper plugs over ls/hs adjusters

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeabossTM

What is the consensus on anti-tamper plugs and adjustment screws for a carb rebuild? I'm happy to leave them in place and just clean out and rebuild everything else, but was a little bit concerned that if I end up with some crud in those passages that I won't know it until it's too late and I lean out the engine.

Do folks on here typically drill out the plugs and do a full cleaning after removing the adjustment screws, or just leave the plugs in place and clean everything else as best you can without removing the ls/hs adjusters?

2004 GTI 720

Well, I will give you a word of caution on that carb.

I wrote the carb rebuild thread here and have been working on these carbs for over 25 years. I have a 2003 GTI and the carb needed to be cleaned so I drilled out the caps and serviced the carb just like countless others. The carb always had a bog off idle. I cleaned it a few more times and even sealed up the caps and it never ran right. The screws are different tan any other Mikuni carb and can't be substituted. It is the only cirb I have ever given up on. I finally admitted defeat and bought a brand new carb from OSD and the ski has run perfectly ever since.

Maybe it was a bad carb or maybe something withe the anti-tamper nature of it, I just don't know.

Well, I will give you a word of caution on that carb.

I wrote the carb rebuild thread here and have been working on these carbs for over 25 years. I have a 2003 GTI and the carb needed to be cleaned so I drilled out the caps and serviced the carb just like countless others. The carb always had a bog off idle. I cleaned it a few more times and even sealed up the caps and it never ran right. The screws are different tan any other Mikuni carb and can't be substituted. It is the only cirb I have ever given up on. I finally admitted defeat and bought a brand new carb from OSD and the ski has run perfectly ever since.

Maybe it was a bad carb or maybe something withe the anti-tamper nature of it, I just don't know.
Dang it, that doesn't fill me with confidence either way.

And serendipitously, lookie what the mail fairy dropped off today.

2226499ce5c864a04680ff763c4acf92.jpg

I just did a carb like the one you mention. The ski still has a little bog off idle. I'm gonna install a larger low speed jet. I Haven't drilled the caps yet.

I decided to leave the AT plugs in place this go-around. That leaves me the option of drilling them out and trying again if something isn't right.

The only concern I have is that spraying either air or cleaner into the jet distribution hole didn't result in much going through, though I could hear a slight gurgle after letting off the air. Hopefully that's just because the jets are so small and the adjusters don't flow much at stock settings.

Cleaned and bagged for reassembly soon.

e1b7202c6e3b96ae1a4d65579268edbf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back