Carb adjustments

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

matempl

I rebuilt the carb on my 97 gti. Used the carb thread to the letter. Replaced strainer , selector valve and fuel lines. Osd kits, pop off was good. Overall it runs good. Idles perfect, but I have a bit of a hesitation from idle to mid throttle it’s worse cold. If I feather it a little it’s fine. Mid throttle to wot is good. When it’s warm if you ease into it it’s fine. We just got back from a week on the water and I decided not to mess with it until back home. I set all adjustments to stock settings which were very close to where they were.

It may just be that adjustment that was off a bit... The needle adjustment is much more sensitive than people think, so an 1/8 of a turn here or there does make a difference... Did you take a look at the plugs at all? That will be a good indicator of how it’s really running...

Which adjustment?
Low speed?
Plugs look good. Not overly black and doesn’t look like it’s running too lean. One thing I did find was both plugs had loose caps under the spark plug boot. Really loose and grayish looking residue. So they were definitely arching. I’ve never had the top caps come loose like that. Plugs were brand new. In the automotive field most plugs we buy don’t have removable caps so it’s not something I’m used to checking. I’m thinking that’s not going to cure my hesitation as they couldn’t have been loose the entire time and the hesitation was there the whole time.

Your low speed may be off just a bit. Most of the mixture control in that throttle range comes from the popoff setting though, so you may have to make a small adjustment there one way or the other. Does a bit of choke help or hurt when it hesitates?

On the spark plug caps, the ones with the screw on caps tend to do that. They make two versions of the same plug, one with solid caps and one with screw one. In the future just try to get the solid caps if you can. I believe the NGK number is 3961 on those.

I made the low speed adjustment then never got the ski back in the water until last weekend. I still have the hesitation. I can’t remember what the pop off was but it was in spec. But I remember it being a range. I’m going to pull the carb back off and recheck it. What direction do I need to go? Higher or lower on the pop off to correct a low speed hesitation?

If it’s truly hesitation, you would want to go richer, which would be lower in pop off or counter clockwise on the adjustment screw depending on which you’re adjusting.

If it's a stock ski don't start messing with pop-off. If it's stock it should run at the book settings. See if it gets better with a little choke.

Hey want the rave valves do that I think if the rave valves aren't adjusted correctly you had the same problem in my not correct on that

So I already tried the low speed adjustment. Pop off spec is between 23-43. That’s a pretty wide spec. So I’m going to pull the carb and check where it pops. If it’s on the high end that may be my problem. If it’s at the low end then no. I wish I had written down what it was. I didn’t and I just remember it was in spec. This was the first carb I did so I followed the carb sticky to the letter. Since then I’ve done my 95 xp and I ran it last Sunday also and it runs great.
Also no Rad valves on this ski.

Also the ski is bone stock.
And I initially set the high and low speed adjustments to stock settings

So I was able to adjust the hesitation out with just the low speed adjustment.
About 2/3 of a turn further out than stock settings. Seems to have taken care of it. Now we just needs to lakes to open up and we’re good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back