Black liquid coming out exhaust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTW

Hi,

I was doing my routine weekly start of the ski and noticed liquid coming out the back of the ski, it wasn’t connected to a hose. Liquid doesn’t normally come out when it’s not connected to a hose. It looks like water and black soot coming out the exhaust. Someone told me it’s unburnt fuel, oil and water but it doesn’t smell like petrol at all and just feels like water. Do you have any ideas on what it is and the problem that caused this? It starts fine and sounds like its running fine on the trailer. I have attached pics of it.IMG_0454.JPGIMG_0457.JPGF5BDD7B2-99CF-4A8F-8E4A-3C07F12E893D.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a normal mix of exhaust/water coming out of a machine that has had stagnant water in the exhaust for a while.

However, I don't know the history of the machine. What model is it? How long have you owned it, are you the first owner?

I have seen this all the time with regular carbed DOOs. The inside of the exhaust system is not a clean area, you might have had water hang up in the muffler/water box area on the last ride and you just saw water pump out this time.

If the machine runs like normal I would not be concerned with it. If anything about the normal running/performance has changed then a little more investigating is needed.

This is my experience. However my "era" with DOOs is 88 to 94. Depending on what model it is someone else might have more insight.

Last edited:
It’s a 1999 spx. First owner. First time I’ve noticed this. Will just keep an eye on it, thanks

If it is a problem in the motor then a rich running condition or extra oil going through are prime suspects.

Keep an eye on things.

Does it smoke a little bit too much when you first start it? They all smoke a little, but excessive smoke could indicate a leaking seal in the motor.

Don't get paranoid yet, just keep an eye on things.

It does smoke when initially starting it but not for long then disappears. Everything seemed normal when starting it. I started it ran it for a little while and switched it off. Moved the trailer after switching it off and saw this liquid underneath and then started it again and saw this stuff coming out the exhaust

I was just concerned because I haven’t had it in the water for ages or connected to a hose in a while as the ski as another issue. I just start it every week just so the battery doesn’t die. Wasn’t sure where all this water comes from

I did check oil level and then connected it to a hose and ran it for a while on the hose and then on and off during the day and then checked oil level at the end of the day and the dipstick was still at same level in the oil tank

Look OK to me. If you were burning extra oil, it would smoke all the time, not just at startup. Looks like a bit of soot mixed with water.

You may also check your spark plugs. If they are all black, then it could be that you are burning too much oil.

P.S. you should not run it on the hose for more than a few minutes at the time.

Thanks, didn't know that. Thought you could run them for a while on the hose. Checked plugs they appear normal

I have started the ski again today and it seems to have stopped, will keep an eye on it. If it happens again will check needle and seat.

Did it end up happening again? Im having the same issue after replacing all the fuel lines. Took a while to get it started and thought it was just build up and gunk from the problem before?

Thanks, didn't know that. Thought you could run them for a while on the hose. Checked plugs they appear normal
Common misconception......the hose water only cools the engine/exhaust system....it does not provide any cooling for the driveline components that normally sit in the water. So, only run on the hose for SHORT periods of time, mostly for checking and testing stuff.....not to get the ski up to normal operating temperatures...by then you'll be cooking seals and bearings potentially. My '96 manual makes a reference to 3 minutes on the hose for flushing purposes....IMHO, that's a LONG time on the hose.

Did it end up happening again? Im having the same issue after replacing all the fuel lines. Took a while to get it started and thought it was just build up and gunk from the problem before?

No it didn’t happen again, just happened that one time

My SPI did this once 2 years ago after not running for close to a year, never happened again but I did change the needle and seat last year as they were flooding the engine apparently. Like some older models, my doo does seem to have a slight leak in the crank seals also that leaks oil into the bottom of the engine over time when stored if I don't clamp off the oil line.

Runs great though and have over 20 hours on it since seeing the black stuff.

mine has been good. i believe its from sitting for a year or so. i think i will run it everyonce inawhile without water just to heat up ehxuast a bit to help push out the water and whatever is sitting in the muffler etc etc. for maybe 20 secounds before anything like carbon seal gets hot etc

I had one motor die on my in the water, it wouldn't start for me. I couldn't pull it out till the following morning. Now it's out of water and when I started it, it spit lots of black oily water out the exhaust. I didn't even turn the hose on, just killed the engine and came to this site for some advice.
Is it safe for me to start it to clear this oil or is something serious wrong??

Typically caused by leaking needles and seats unless it’s been sitting a long time then it’s inner crank seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back