Best and easiest "tune up" / performance boost for 240EFI engines...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
yes they did everything was correct.

i tought it was 10 dollar to ship but you can choose if you want it faster you pay more :lol:

i asked them how long it would taken and the told me about 20 day becouse of the price.

But it was faster than that i tought 10 days.

i asked them how long it would taken and the told me about 20 day becouse of the price.

But it was faster than that i tought 10 days.

Quite a bit longer for me - ordered on the 12th June - arrived on the 20th July!

Smoking so much less - put a meter across the two of them and the old one was all over the place - interesting to see what is inside - will probably cut it open and see what 10cent thermal component is in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be a couple stickers....

One is on the top, plastic cover... and there is another on top of the block between the "V".

Depends on your engine
858535 SENSOR ASSEMBLY, Temperature - Design I SN# 0E406400 THRU 0E418555

885342001 SENSOR ASSEMBLY, Temperature - Design II SN# 0E418556 & Up

I just learned from Crowleys that there is a new part number for the 858535 sensor is 889575

Last edited by a moderator:
Short version: Replace your head temperature sensor. (It's the one on the port side.)

Longer version: The port side temperature sensor tells the ECU the engine's temperature. The ECU uses that information to control fuel injector pulse width. (There is also a temperature sensor on the starboard side, but that is used to sense the cooling water's temperature.)

Can some one tell me generaly where on the port side I should expect finding this sensor? From Crowlys diagram, I have found a total of three of these sensors. I found two of these sensors going into the cylinder heads; one on each side. Also from the diagram on crowlys there appears to be a third one going into the Air Handler.

So now I am confused. Which is the one that notoriously fails? the one on the port side cylinder head or the one in the air handler?

Thanks

Just wanted to post this here to maybe help other members...my 2002 Speedster 240 was experiencing some of the same symptoms as others on here...it would run great for hours, then after shutting down and sitting for a while it was hard to start back up. I pulled my cyl head temp sensors off this winter and found the port side was cracked on the threads, and was only threaded in hand tight. I replaced that one, and the other side as well just for good measure, it looked ok, but kept it in the storage compartment for a spare. Took the boat out this past weekend for the first time since replacing the sensors, and she ran amazing all day!! Started right up every time...ran her pretty good, similar to last year, tubing, playing around...shut off, sit...start back up......all day long it ran beautiful! So...not saying this will fix everyone elses problem on here, but the sensors look to have cured my problems. By the way, my sensor part number was a 858535, which was superceded to a 889575 Quicksilver. Found both sensors brand new for under $30 each, very simple to replace also.

Water U Doo N, do you mind sharing where you purchased these sensors. I would like to purchase these for my boat to prevent running into this issue.

Water U Doo N, do you mind sharing where you purchased these sensors. I would like to purchase these for my boat to prevent running into this issue.

Actually found them on Ebay. 2 different sellers had 1 each only, brand new in OE packaging. Make sure you get your engine serial number and verify which number is correct...there are 2 choices for my year, and they are different. Also, my local boat dealer can order the superceded part number thru Quicksilver Parts, but at twice the price I paid for them.

Hi all, I have a 2002 islandia 240efi. Can someone help me find the port temp sensor on the motor? I am not a hands on guy, but I’ve changed a fresh water pump and hooked up an auto bilge pump this year so I’m on a high now haha. I bought the sensor according to Merc net, but I’m not sure what I’m replacing cause I don’t know where it is. Not asking for a friend, I really have no clue. Thanks!

Sorry guys. I'm confused. I have a Design 1 engine 250 DFI optimax. Sensor part number should be 858535, but the manual says I need two of these. So port and starboard must be the same part?

Thanks for clarifying.

Dumb question but where do you get a Sensor socket to complete the Temperature Sensor change on the 240 EFI. I have the sensors that came out after 2002 with the wire harness. Tried to use a 13MM wrench and adjustable wrench but can’t seem to get the old sensor to budge. Looked all over online for a 13MM Sensor Socket but it doesn’t seem to exist.

Back