RESTO An Extremely Modified X4

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
So this is the latest reincarnation of my "ultimate X4 rec rider". It was a racer that I originally attempted to rebuilt as a racer. However after comparing it to the two pro-built racers I have I decided to try my hand at something that was super cool but could burn pump gas.

I stripped it completely and came up with this. Nearly everything is aftermarket. Let me now what you see or any questions that you have. I have not ridden it yet so obviously some testing and tuning time will need to be spent. I'll be honest about the actual results but I'm not worried because I'll just keep chasing it until I get some results That I'm proud of.

Attachments

• photo(73).JPG
    photo(73).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 568
  • photo(83).JPG
    photo(83).JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 540
  • photo(75).JPG
    photo(75).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 585
  • photo(76).JPG
    photo(76).JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 501
  • photo(81).JPG
    photo(81).JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 502
Looks like a jettrim seat with seadoo stencil, tto tach, stock head cover but the color scheme looks like west coast with possibly am head, R&d nozzle, umi steering, the exhaust is for sure am maybe factory? Am flame arresestors but I cant tell the brand. The trim tabs are extended and the carbs are most likely novi. With you I am betting the intake grate is jet dynamics. I am sure the zebra or the ref will be turning heads on the water. What type of sponsons are those? definately worx or r&d.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very kool!

Can't wait to see what she do!!

How bad will she smoke the 951 "stocker"?

Saturday? Sunday?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

since i'm between ski's.. I gotta ask... how much ?

and... with all the colors in the engine bay... would I be required to wear these if I rode it ?
volcom-elastripe-boardshorts-neon-blue.jpg

Curious how you got the Avenger EGT system working. I thought that was for pull-start snow mobiles and couldn't even be powered by a battery/starter vehicle. That's what the Racepak tech told me when I picked his brain about their old skool goodies.

Thanks Guys! Gary we will get a ride in soon.

JSG- good calls. The UMI is the one with the up most forward angle and it really works well with the high top seat. There is a billet head in there with about 180lbs of compression and yes its an OEM head cover but what a paint job and clear coat the guy did(bought it off the used parts section). Yes it's the R&D Hydro Force 85/88mm nozzle set but notice also how it is set back. I have all the parts off a 95 XP800 (longer drive shaft, 3" extention, longer studs, longer steering cable and VTS linkage). BTW I've got to get y'all some pics of the VTS, it's a gold billet hydraulic system made by Baker. Of coarse I've got my trusty Jet Dynamics #6 under there. The sponsons are homemade and the tabs are turned up like they were attempting the 3 degree(made by GT or Odyssey).

IdooSeadoo- Great call on the Avenger ll by Racepac! It does have an on board rechargeable battery but that is mainly for collection of data after a race or ride. It runs off 12 volts. I want to push the pipe to it's potential(Coffman's Signature series) without burning up pistons so I like keeping an eye on the exhaust temps. It will help me tune it accordingly for wherever I go to ride.

Spimy- I'd hate to know what I have in this thing(besides a ticked off wife). I gotta keep this one. I built it for me to come and ride rivers with the likes of you man. Lets get you back in a ski! I put the big 13 gallon tank in it and everything. I'll keep my eye out for a X4 deal.

Sweet setup man! I plan on setting mine up in a similar fashion (when I get around to it that is). I'm still trying to run pump gas though, so I may not go that high in compression. I have a Koso EGT for my setup, it's pretty small and easily mountable. Do you know what temps you should see at idle? I'm trying to tune my 787 stock boat motor... What about WOT? We'll have to compare tuning data. Here's my future setup:
41mm Novi Carbs w/ R&D F/A
sportport port/polish by race logic
MSD Enhancer
82.5mm bore
SpecI Factory Pipe
Water Injection
17/23 Skat Trak swirl
R&D intake grate
High comp. head pushing (I think) 165 or so, I'll have to see when I install it tho

What RPMs are you planning to turn and what prop?

Nice! I have the MSD Enshanser in there 97 style(stand alone with no MPEM) and I've still wired in a working BRP tachometer(had the single gauge hood hole empty) and fuel gauge.

My Carbs are 44mm RedTops. These are annular discharge meaning there is no bomb sight whatsoever but rather a bunch of tiny holes around the of the inside of the velocity stack(super cool).

This pipe was not known for working very good. It just doesn't like to rev. However, I noticed that they recommended a Solas X! for it witch is an extremely tall prop. My thought is that it may have better torque that revs. I'm just playing with it while I try to get my SS Neptune pipes fixed at welding shops.

I have a bunch of different props and pumps. The 3" extension is also beneficial in that it allows my to swap pumps without having to re-silicone the through-hull fittings. This way I can carry multiple pumps and have them swapped in 10min. Minne wants to wave jump? 1995hx wants to ride buoys? I'd put on Skat 16/23 or my plastic RFI pump. Otherwise probably a 16/24 or Solas XO

Thanks Guys! Gary we will get a ride in soon.

Spimy- I'd hate to know what I have in this thing(besides a ticked off wife). I gotta keep this one. I built it for me to come and ride rivers with the likes of you man. Lets get you back in a ski! I put the big 13 gallon tank in it and everything. I'll keep my eye out for a X4 deal.

ya, i'll be back in one very soon, i've been BOATING the last 3 weekends, and the weekend before that I went kayaking ... and honestly after 4 weeks of boring water time i'm ready to hang myself from the nearest tree branch.... its sooooo boring...

i did pick up a 96 xp the other day but it was a no title part out, I started putting the word out on finding an x4 hull cheap cheap that I can start over with from the ground up, in the meantime gradually collecting everything i'll need if I find one, and proceed from there. it won't be nearly as modded as you just did,, i'll go about half way, which is fine for me... I did run across a zebra hull just like yours, but the bottom was pretty banged up and lots of spider cracks, so I passed on it and will continue looking.

have fun riding that beast.

Love it!

One thing to ad...those sponsons are NOT homemade. They were made by a racer up my way. I think it was called Dale's performance, but there was another dales performance that was jetski related.

Supposedly they are not like any other and the guys in the know never sell them. I have yet to get some, I almost paid big bux for a parts ski just to get a set.

I really want you to install those prototype sponsons you have!

Looks like a jettrim seat with seadoo stencil, tto tach, stock head cover but the color scheme looks like west coast with possibly am head, R&d nozzle, umi steering, the exhaust is for sure am maybe factory? Am flame arresestors but I cant tell the brand. The trim tabs are extended and the carbs are most likely novi. With you I am betting the intake grate is jet dynamics. I am sure the zebra or the ref will be turning heads on the water. What type of sponsons are those? definately worx or r&d.
[MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION] ya ya ya.. now clear your inbox !

View attachment 18469Ya Minne I wondered about those sponsons cause the oval part is just cut out of flat plastic but the backing plates are billet and fit perfect to the curve of the hull. I shoulda known that's a little too nice of work for home-made(unless Racerxxx is doing it).

Spim- another Zebra? It could be the Karen Countryman ski I copied! If so it was probably tuned and light weight? I'm just an optimistic thinker.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 155
View attachment 18469Ya Minne I wondered about those sponsons cause the oval part is just cut out of flat plastic but the backing plates are billet and fit perfect to the curve of the hull. I shoulda known that's a little too nice of work for home-made(unless Racerxxx is doing it).

Spim- another Zebra? It could be the Karen Countryman ski I copied! If so it was probably tuned and light weight? I'm just an optimistic thinker.

actually I dont' know,, but i'll ask him, he's a friend of mine, the hull has been sitting in his back yard for a good 2 years... if its tuned and light weight, i might take more interest in it...

IDO- I'm not sure on my EGT(exhaust gas temperature) readings. I know to keep it under 1100 at WOT. Bo(Neptune racing) told me to keep my fully ported super stock at 1030.

Here are some more pics! I love the trim system!! Noticed the new fuel valve. Even with a 13 gal tank and a working fuel gauge I still need to now when it's time to switch to reserve and head back toward home!

The billet head says Slimtech. I fit in the new SBT lanyard since it it fits so nice and any DESS key now works on my MSD ignition setup.

Of coarse that's a 97 SPX waterbox. That is the "free flow" year. It is a 97 SPX but I had to buy that on the used market just the same.

Attachments

• photo(88).JPG
    photo(88).JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 219
  • photo(87).JPG
    photo(87).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 210
  • photo(86).JPG
    photo(86).JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I dunked it last weekend when Gary 13 came over to ride. I don't like the Coffman Signature series pipe. It's just too darn hot!! I wondered how it was going to work since there was no water jacket. I kept a continuous flow of water to it but it was still far hotter than anything should ever be closed up under the seat.

The performance was not terrible at first. I hit high 50's at with the rear cylinder temp barely cracking 1000 degrees and the front cylinder riding about 70 less. It was groggy until 3/4 throttle but ran well enough that I ran it up the creek and back(Gary on his 951 96XP). I never got it over 6700 rpm When we returned to my shore I made a carb adjustment and went back out only to find that I'd went the wrong way on the needles. It would not clean out consistently and I could not reach past that hot pipe to correct it.

So I'm giving the Coffman's a thumbs down though I do see a little potential. Maybe in a GSX hull where there is more room for that hot sucker. I took one of my blown ss Neptune pipes to the hotshot welding outfit in town. I stroked their ego a bit with stories of their great reputation and the other welder's surrender. Hopefully they can fix it otherwise I'm using a Rossier pipe because the performance is good, it's pump gas friendly, and it runs nice and cool under the seat.

I missed the memo on wiring the oem tach in directly like that. It was jumping all over, hope I didn't fry it! I guess I need a resister or something? Anyway sorry for the ramble but I told you I'd be honest about the results. I need over 7000rpms, over 60mph, and for it to run reliably for years on pump gas. :patriot:

Whats that old saying that works pretty well with seadoo's???

Cheap. Fast. Reliable....Pick two. Sounds like you picked Fast and Reliable, that means $$$$ :patriot: 'merica! Gotta love this place

I love that saying and it is absolutely true!!! It is well worth the money to me just in pride of ownership. Just wait until I really start traveling by water with this this this summer! Just remembered, I'm gonna need a bilge pump and a SeaTow membership.

Just think of what some people put in to their Harleys or whatever. Or even worse, some hobby where you don't even get to ride!!! If I end up having $3100 or some worse terrible figure in this thing then so be it. Yes, I picked fast and reliable. And the cost is parts alone, I love to tinker on these things as much as I enjoy the ride.

Just think of what some people put in to their Harleys or whatever. Or even worse, some hobby where you don't even get to ride!!! If I end up having $3100 or some worse terrible figure in this thing then so be it.

Truth I have 3 pinball machines at the house now so that is why my ski is stock under the seat! Guess I could sit on one and make motor noises!

Hey Matt, I find it interesting that your PTO was hotter than your MAG cylinder. I've been trying to hut down the cause of my PTO running 100degF cooler than my MAG cylinder. Some guy on PWC Today said that it's because the MAG has to make such a tight turn relative to the PTO at the Y-pipe. I'm having trouble believing him, as I can't see SeaDoo designing a 2-cyl engine with such a drastic temperature differential. I've been through the carbs, and despite having adjusted the Pop-off to be the same, I saw no other differences. That made no difference. I took out the plugs yesterday and saw that the insulators are both nice and chocolate brown. I guess that's a good sign, though I would really like to get my cylinders to the same temps. It seems that even when I screw the High needle all the way in, it barely makes a difference on the EGT temp on that cylinder. I heard that if it's knocking, it will get cooler (but in a bad way). How can you tell when a Rotax pre-detonates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back