Adding Fiberglass reinforced mounting surface??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Port

I apologize if this has been covered...I did a quick search and nothing popped up. I have gathered everything for my second battery/sound system upgrade. I'm trying to figure out how to mount the second battery tray...as I was looking under the cooler compartment at the back of the stereo I noticed they laid a piece of fiberglass/resin cloth over the wires to hold everything in place. It got me wondering if I could do the same to a couple pieces of Marine grade plywood in the engine compartment? Obliviously I'd have to degrease and probably rough the area up...then layer upon layer to get the strength required to hold a battery down. Antone ever done anything like this? Or have a better idea? The pic is the general area I want to place it...

Attachments

• 20160422_173133.jpg
    20160422_173133.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Wooden block (very dry, not green and wet) wrapped in woven glass cloth and soaked with epoxy resin. A plastic spatula (like a credit card) can be used to spread the epoxy resin.

Then to glue this in place, mix some resin with filler bead thickener (I usually mix with sawdust) to make a peanut butter consistency paste to create a tenacious adhesive.

You can recover this once cured, using epoxy resin and woven cloth then paint to match with epoxy appliance paint in a rattle can to color of choice (limited to hardware store colors).

I usually use painters acetone to wipe away grease and oil and absorb residual moisture dampness from the local area, the entire bilge can be scrubbed and rinsed down using a stiff brush and purple cleaner (or bilge cleaner).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back