96 XP Sometimes no spark on crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

tingraham

Morning folks,
Figured I'd throw this one out there and see if anything jumps out for anyone. For a couple years now I've had the hardest time getting my XP started on occasion and just kept thinking it was flooding. Did the usual full carb rebuild and all that and still had the issue. I finally realized at the end of last season that randomly my TinyTach won't show an RPM reading on crank which tells me there's no spark coming out of the coil. I can crank it over endlessly until the battery dies and the tach will never see spark until I pull the lanyard and put it back on. Sometimes it takes a couple tries of pulling the lanyard but eventually I see the tach start reading and it fires right up. So basically, I'm thinking the MPEM is allowing the ski to crank but not sending the signal to the CDI for spark or the CDI is not activating to send the signal to the coil for spark. It has zero issues once started, it is only on crank that spark is missing. The only thing I have really done is replaced the engine ground. I believe I have an extra CDI laying around I might try out as well one of those aftermarket MPEMs.

Thanks for any input!
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back