96' GTX oil leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane0524

I have a 96 gtx that appears to be leaking oil from around the grommet on TOP of the tank. The leak appears to be coming from around the sender unit for oil level readings. The sender is very loosely fitted in the tank. Is that how it is supposed to be or should it be quite tight. Also where is the grommet on the bottom that everyone talks about leaking too?
thanks for any input!

http://youtu.be/uOsm_vE_VJo

The sending unit on top looks normal, they really dont fit that tight. Unless you wiped up the oil, it didnt look like it was leaking at the top.
On the bottom of the tank there is another rubber grommet the same as the top. The grommet on the bottom of the oil tank has 2 hoses attached to a fitting that slides in the grommet, one hose is your oil pump supply (smaller hose) the other supplies oil to the RV cavity. I will bet that one of the hoses needs to be tightened up or the grommet is leaking and you need a new one.

BTW get rid of those grey fuel lines, they will be the death of your ski.

This is where it could be leaking from. Try cleaning up the oil, then lay a bunch of paper towels and see if the drips show up on the paper towels after a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info... I did wipe up some oil from around the sender unit and it was a bit oily, however it didn't appear to have run down from there. I did check the lower grommet area for residue and it appears to be dry. I will double check it again tomorrow. I did order a new grommet for the top for 10 bucks so I'll throw that on and see if it tightens up.

And those fuel lines are definitely on the list for replacement. Just got the ski it only has 43 hours on it.

I would follow the line from the top sending unit under the engine. There is a clamp that holds the line to the block for the oil bath. If the clamp is loose it will leak there. A mirror and flashlight can be useful.

cracked oil tank GSX.jpgcracked oil tank-2.jpg
Shane0524, you may have a leaking tank seam as well. I guess they're not uncommon, search the site.

The 96 GTX has a 1 piece tank so no seams to leak.
I bought a GTX tank to replace the leaking one on my 99GSXL.
See pics above.....

unfortunately the holes might be slightly off b/c of the swap. I would prob clean everything up really good with brake cleaner and use some RTV and let it sit a few days to fully cure.

You could also use the 96 oil sender and cap the fitting off.

Agreed, I've replaced those rubber grommets and it still leaked. Especially in the winter when everything shrinks. Get some good rtv, like Honda bond and it should be good.

I would suggest ThreeBond 1211 or 1194 as they are gas and oil proof. Stay away from anything that says RTV as it is only oil resistant not proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back