2009 GTI reverse bucket falls when accelerating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

dbld2122

The locknut on the reverse cable on our 2009 GTI broke. We replaced it following all directions (counting turns, etc.) I have verified the cable is good, it moves the bucket up and down, and if you move the bucket up and down the lever moves too. When you give it any sort of gas it tries to go in reverse. I have even tried to hold the lever down and there is so much pressure it pushes it up. Any ideas of things I can check?
Thank you.

Have you gone to seadoomanuals.net and downlaoded the parts manual for your ski? I suspect your return spring is missing.

Yes, I think you are missing the return spring on the left side of the jet pump (left side as you look at your ski from the rear). Spring May have broke or fell off when your reverse nut broke. The spring is about $15 from the dealer.

It is still there and has good tension. I wonder if something happened when the cable retaining bolt broke. All parts look to be there when I compare to the manual.

OK… could your bucket be too low and thrust from the jet pump is hitting it and pulling it down? I don’t know if that is possible, but worth checking to make sure your bucket is adjusted up high and well out of the way. And your cable isn’t broken, right? - you have a solid connection between the reverse handle and the bucket it seems… And the spring is connected in the right tab spots as far as you can tell (not at my ski to see if there are any wrong places it could attach)? I don’t know that I have any other ideas for you.

The only time my reverse bucket would fall down on acceleration was when my cable nut broke and spring went missing. Had to tie it up with a tie down for the remainder of the day.

Yes it is very weird. I think I am covering everything. If I give it throttle I cannot even hold the lever down. There is that much force on the bucket. It doesn’t look like there is an adjustment to raise the bucket higher once it hits a certain point.

So all I can think of is that it is now adjusted too low, procedure:
ADJUSTMENT
Put shift lever in forward position.
WARNING When adjusting reverse cable, make sure lever is well engaged into the spring slot.
Place reverse gate in the up position.
Turn the joint at the end of reverse cable and align
its hole with hole in pivot arm.
Secure with bolt, washers, spacer and elastic stop
nut. Torque to 7 N•m (62 lbf•in).

You may have misassembled the locknut at the pump and have the 2 halves of the plastic cap in backwards. This will cause play in the system and not push the bucket all the way up.

Back