2007 RXT 215 Missing / Breaking up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey_Martin3

I'm working on a 2007 RXT 215 supercharged. After a water test, the result was as followed.
Ski starts up well, two beeps when key placed on dess post with no additional beeps. Ski idles fine and sounds good. When throttle is applied response is okay but not as strong as I feel it should be (keep in mind I have never ridden the ski at full power). The ski gets going and the max speed I can achieve is 30 mph before I hear the engine sound like it is hitting a rev limiter or missing, almost like a spark cut. However I have no idea what the engine RPM is because of a faulty gauge cluster. I am using the full power key, not learner key

I have
- replaced both fuel filters
- replaced spark plugs
- inspected wear ring, doesn't look good but ski gets going decently which is why I don't think it's the ring.

I am planning to check fuel pressure, I am open to other suggestions of things that I should check

Very hard to ever tell if you are going to have a full power without knowing what the RPM is. WOT when getting full power is usually at 6800 RPMS.

Very hard to ever tell if you are going to have a full power without knowing what the RPM is. WOT when getting full power is usually at 6800 RPMS.
Yeah , it definitely adds a level of difficulty. It's a friend's ski that I'm working on for him and its never had the functioning guage, we just know it's down on power based on feeling

Sounds like it is in limp mode,,.sometimes it the rear oil pressure switch failing.
I was thinking something similar, but wouldn't that cause an audible alarm? It never gives any kind of alarm, and I obviously can't view any dash lights because of the dash not working. Is there a way to test the sensor ?

Should hit at least 8000-8200 rpms but without a gauge you'll never know

disconnect coils one at time and see if you have a cylinder not firing

You could be in limp mode but without a gauge or scanning with BUDS you'll never know. You can either change parts all day long guessing or do it the right way

Ask you friend if it runs OK when they first start off but the problem starts first time the engine is warm and they exceed about 3500 RPM. When you try to hold speed about 3500 the engine speed will start oscillating up and down (limp mode)

This happened to me last year and it was the TOPS (tip over protection) valve failing. The valves are no longer made so this (gut the valve) is the recommended solution for a 2005 215. At first I cleaned the valve and replaced both oil pressure switches which did not help.

If they are the kind of person who could flip over their Sea-Doo then I would not recommend this.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my RXP and it ended up being a bad TOPS fuse, along with corrosion on the posts. Replaced the fuse after cleaning the fuse block. It performs well now.

Another area of issues like this is plugs/coils.

When was the last time you changed the plugs? Try that first. Mark the plugs to what cyl they come from as sometimes they can help you figure out which coil may have issues. I had a stutter that sounded like yours that turned out to be a bad coil. I figured it was cyl 1 because the plug had a hint of carbon on it. You could always buy a single coil and rotate it thhrough as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back