2004 Sea-doo 3d Rfi Jet Ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SARAH76

Was Out Riding My Ski When It Cut Out On Me, Now When I Try To Start It It Only Runs For About 5 Seconds Then Cuts Out, If I Try To Rev It It Cuts Out Then It Beeps 3 Times

Any Ideas???

Welcome!

Sarah, welcome to the Seadoo forum. Glad you came to visist, just hate that it's under these conditions. Let's see what we can do.
First, I could have used a little more information to help diagnose the problem but I've give you a little info and we'll go from there. There are several things that can cause your problem. You said you got three short beeps. I'll assume that was when you attached the lanyard because you didn't state that you tried the advanced mode. In the basic mode, there is no codes on the 3 beeps.
One of the things I read about was the grey wire that is used for the communication of the tach. If it's pinched or grounded, it will let your pwc run for about 30 seconds before the mpem shuts it down. Also, if the wire is good, there a possiblity that the tach or info center is bad. This would require further testing.
There is also a special feature in the mpem to control the engine if there is low voltage. For example, if the volts DC drops to 8.9, the rpm is limited to 4480, if the voltage drops to 7 for 30 seconds, the mpem will shut the motor down.
Here's a couple questions for you. When you start, do you hear anything other than the 3 beeps? Please try again and be sure your hearing three and not 4 or 6. Does the info display signal any faults or errors? Also, if you can, with only seconds to spare, you'll have to be ready. Get a multi tester ready and as soon as you start, check the VDC (volts direct current) to your battery. You should have about 11.8 to 12.4 vdc before starting and somewhere in the 13.5 to 14 vdc while running.
The next step will be to try and talk you through the advanced test on the mpem and the fault codes of the engine managment system. I don't think your problem is severe, I think you may have a bad sensor or maybe a short that will just need to be found. The engine management system uses the mpem to intrepret information and send it to the ecu (engine control unit) where it decides on the changes that it wants to make to your engine, then sends them back to your mpem to deliver those changes.
If you like and you don't have the shop manual, we have your manual in our library. With a small amout of mechanical know how, you can read and troubleshoot this problem yourself. If your not electrically inclined, then it would be nice for you to have the manual at your disposal when we're trying to direct you in the troubleshooting process. Electrical problems can be time consuming, but they are there to protect your high tech engine from catastrophic failure.
Post back your results, we'll do all we can to help. Then you can ride and come in to visit. I like it better when I hear someone is having a blast with their PWC, not working on it!........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back