2002 GTI locked up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

hilwilliam

Just picked up a 2002 Seadoo GTI for free from my uncle. He had used it summer before last and it was running good. When he took it in to get it ready for the water the following season, the mechanic said it was locked up, maybe from water getting into the engine. I got it back to my place and one of the spark plugs did have some rust on it, the other looked normal. Looking into the cylinder that had the rusty plug, I see a little rust on top of the piston but the walls look pretty good. Took the pto cover off and I can rotate the pto only about 1 degree in each direction when I do, I can see the pistons moving about 1mm up and down so it seems like the pistons aren't seized to the cylinder. I though maybe the starter bendix was jammed so I took the starter off and everything looks fine. Same movement in pto with starter off. I soaked both cylinders in wd40 for the night to see how it does tomorrow. I also noticed some oil in the bottom of the hull, not sure what's normal. Don't have any experience working on skis!

If the pistons were seized, would you get any movement out of the pto? Any suggestions on where to go from here?

You will still have some play in the crank even if the pistons are seized.

Rust in any of the cylinders is not a good sign.

#1 was this ski used in salt or freshwater?

If it was freshwater, I would pull the head and have a look but you will need new o-rings.

It was freshwater lake use only. Never has been in salt water. Good to know on the crank play. I'm going to check it tonight to see if there is any more movement after spraying wd40 in the spark plug holes. Quick question: if the pistons seize while sitting (i.e. not while engine running), are you typically able to free them up then run the ski or does it typically need a top end after that? I'll get the head pulled and get some good pics of what I find. Other than this, the ski is in really nice shape for it's age. Could be a nice score if I can get it back in the water relatively cheap

Rust will pit the rings and cylinder walls.
If it was mine and I was going to keep it, new top end.
If you just want to see if it will run then have at it but know that if it lets go it will be more expensive if it takes parts with it.

You also need a full rebuild of the fuel system no matter what.

It was freshwater lake use only. Never has been in salt water. Good to know on the crank play. I'm going to check it tonight to see if there is any more movement after spraying wd40 in the spark plug holes. Quick question: if the pistons seize while sitting (i.e. not while engine running), are you typically able to free them up then run the ski or does it typically need a top end after that?

Rust will pit the rings and cylinder walls.
If it was mine and I was going to keep it, new top end.
If you just want to see if it will run then have at it but know that if it lets go it will be more expensive if it takes parts with it.

You also need a full rebuild of the fuel system no matter what.
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it

"I can see the pistons moving about 1mm up and down so it seems like the pistons aren't seized to the cylinder." You have better eyes than me. Pistons may not be seized but rings could be. Is the movement you are seeing just the ring groove clearance? Pull the head and your questions will be answered. It is very easy to do. O-rings are cheap.

So I went back out to the shop to fool with the ski a little more. After the cylinders soaked in WD40 all night, there was no difference in the amount of movement from the pto (about 1 degree each direction). I pulled the head and I could see standing water in the little voids on the outside of the cylinder walls where the cylinder bolts are which I got out of there and I'm guessing that means that the winterization wasn't done properly. With the head off I could see the pistons were moving and were not seized so I went ahead and pulled the cylinders to see if I could see evidence of water in the bottom end. Bottom end looks fine but the pto had same amount of movement with cylinders off. The pistons look fine and never did seize and the cylinder walls look fine. The head and that space around piston walls has corrosion I'll try to clean up really good. Then I did what I wish I would have done first and pulled the jet pump. The damn impeller is frozen solid. With jetpump removed the crank moves freely.

I went ahead and ordered a top end gasket kit and a kit with a replacement impeller shaft, bearings, and thrust washer and seal. Also picked up the bearing/seal pusher tools and the impeller removal tool so hopefully I can get the impeller out without too much headache. The wear ring and impeller itself look ok and it good shape. Not sure whey the bearings and shaft would seize like this. Anything else recommended to do while I have it apart other than clean the carb? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_5113.jpg
    IMG_5113.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5115.jpg
    IMG_5115.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5118.jpg
    IMG_5118.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5119.jpg
    IMG_5119.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5120.jpg
    IMG_5120.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 9
Also my ski is missing this hose setup that goes from the head to exhaust pipe and has two little "tees" on it for smaller hoses (I found the pic online). The smaller hoses are there but the larger hose and the tees are missing. Anyone know what that setup is called so I can order new? Thanks!

Attachments

• missing hose.jpg
    missing hose.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 9
Back