1996 Speedster Restoration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Man I'm almost gettin excited. All the big stuff is in place carbs hooked up, oil injection primed. Just hook up a few cooling water lines (the easy ones :) ) adjust linkages and it's time for tweakin.

Speedster Engines Installed -carbs-exhaust.jpeg

I'm looking at converting from 2 batteries to one large battery. I can't find anything on the forum so far in my searches.

This poor boat should thank me egregiously. What a pile of junk it was. Coming along though just so much stuff needs lots of attention. I pulled the throttle/shift quadrant and got it looking nice. When I install it I'll be able to do some proper adjusting on the cables. I took a picture of the dual battery holders. Engines are almost done. Closin in on mechanical completion. :) Still a lot of cosmetic choices to make. If I was keeping it I'd strip all the decals and turf and replace it. Too much $$ though for a boat I'm restoring.

Attachments

• Dual Battery brackets Speedster.JPEG
    Dual Battery brackets Speedster.JPEG
    373.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Engines Coming together (2).JPEG
    Engines Coming together (2).JPEG
    252.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Engines Coming together (3).JPEG
    Engines Coming together (3).JPEG
    171.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Speedster Cosmetics Ugly (1).JPEG
    Speedster Cosmetics Ugly (1).JPEG
    227.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Speedster Cosmetics Ugly (2).JPEG
    Speedster Cosmetics Ugly (2).JPEG
    234.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Speedster Cosmetics Ugly (3).JPEG
    Speedster Cosmetics Ugly (3).JPEG
    267.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Throttle Quadrant Speesdster (3).JPEG
    Throttle Quadrant Speesdster (3).JPEG
    353.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Throttle Quadrant Speesdster (2).JPEG
    Throttle Quadrant Speesdster (2).JPEG
    307 KB · Views: 5
  • Throttle Quadrant Speesdster (1).JPEG
    Throttle Quadrant Speesdster (1).JPEG
    278.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Throttle Quadrant Speesdster (4).JPEG
    Throttle Quadrant Speesdster (4).JPEG
    375.4 KB · Views: 7
This poor boat should thank me egregiously. What a pile of junk it was. Coming along though just so much stuff needs lots of attention. I pulled the throttle/shift quadrant and got it looking nice. When I install it I'll be able to do some proper adjusting on the cables. I took a picture of the dual battery holders. Engines are almost done. Closin in on mechanical completion. :) Still a lot of cosmetic choices to make. If I was keeping it I'd strip all the decals and turf and replace it. Too much $$ though for a boat I'm restoring.
I have a car we bought for our sons first car that’s similar. Ended up needing everything, surprise surprise. Put drums, shoes, rotors, pads, rear stabilizer links, rear toe link, bushing in the front control arm, new brake line, fuel door lever was seized solid, rear door handle wouldn’t work, lights out everywhere. Just like you though we got it for cheap and now everything will be in good working order. Better than buying a boat or car for twice the amount and still possibly putting a lot of work in. I got a quote to re do the upholstery on my 98 Challenger 3500.00!!! So that won’t be happening, lol. Bought myself an old sewing machine for 70.00, should be able to get the vinyl for about 100.00 but I know you hate upholstery so hopefully yours is ok. Your doing a fine job as always. Can’t wait to see it on the water

I would get her all mechanically sound like your doing and then see how much you love it,, you may decide it’s a keeper and then if that’s the case maybe then you wouldn’t mind spending for the new decals. I know myself when I start this Challenger I’m going to do the mechanical and if that all goes well I’m going to keep my eyes open for another one with good upholstery and crap everything else hopefully in the 800.00 range

Wow man that’s thing was ruff
I need my butt kicked for buying it. I like working on the two-stroke jet skis and I figured the boat would just be a bit more painful, as in reaching and climbing to get at the parts. It seemed to me I'd just be going through the engines and my regular restoration. As I'm finishing up I'm seeing so much that could not have worked I wonder when is the last time this thing was even in the water. When I bought it for $2k I was under the impression that it just needed engine work and some tidying up. :D :D The Right engine started and ran and had 130psi compression. However, both engines I couldn't get apart without breaking bolts. Lucky for me I had (3) 717s ready to go. I'm closing in on completion. :)

I have a car we bought for our sons first car that’s similar. Ended up needing everything, surprise surprise. Put drums, shoes, rotors, pads, rear stabilizer links, rear toe link, bushing in the front control arm, new brake line, fuel door lever was seized solid, rear door handle wouldn’t work, lights out everywhere. Just like you though we got it for cheap and now everything will be in good working order. Better than buying a boat or car for twice the amount and still possibly putting a lot of work in. I got a quote to re do the upholstery on my 98 Challenger 3500.00!!! So that won’t be happening, lol. Bought myself an old sewing machine for 70.00, should be able to get the vinyl for about 100.00 but I know you hate upholstery so hopefully yours is ok. Your doing a fine job as always. Can’t wait to see it on the water

Yep guys like us are gonna find a way. That Car resto sounds a lot like stuff I get into but you want it to work as it should so.... we do it right. Yea I don't like upholstery and one of the few things I won't try but for $3500.... I might have to give it a go. :D :D Seats are in good shape, no rips or rot. I wish this boat at the rear facing seat. Gonna be a great boat when I'm done. I got 5 motorcycles waiting to be restored as well and my airplane needs some love. Good luck with your stuff !! :D

Y
I need my butt kicked for buying it. I like working on the two-stroke jet skis and I figured the boat would just be a bit more painful, as in reaching and climbing to get at the parts. It seemed to me I'd just be going through the engines and my regular restoration. As I'm finishing up I'm seeing so much that could not have worked I wonder when is the last time this thing was even in the water. When I bought it for $2k I was under the impression that it just needed engine work and some tidying up. :D :D The Right engine started and ran and had 130psi compression. However, both engines I couldn't get apart without breaking bolts. Lucky for me I had (3) 717s ready to go. I'm closing in on completion. :)
Yeah man I get ya man sometimes that’s how it goes but hey your getting there

I actually made some headway today. I don't like that the throttle for the left engine is too easy to move for my liking. I'm gonna ready up on that and see if there is an adjustment I can make. Doesn't look like it. Reverse cables adjusted. I'm hoping the electrical works. When I got the boat the left engine wasn't getting fire and I believe it was the MPEM so I picked up another one for a good price. I hope it works. :D

I actually made some headway today. I don't like that the throttle for the left engine is too easy to move for my liking. I'm gonna ready up on that and see if there is an adjustment I can make. Doesn't look like it. Reverse cables adjusted. I'm hoping the electrical works. When I got the boat the left engine wasn't getting fire and I believe it was the MPEM so I picked up another one for a good price. I hope it works. :D
Nice man

I think the Speedster is finally worth a couple of bucks. :D Before you get everything put together it's just a pile of junk. At least now it is together. Batteries are in and connected but the spark plug wires for the engine are too short. I gotta see what I'm going to do about that. I need to program the key and see if the MPEM is good. I took it to the carwash and spent sometime making it look spiffy. I needs some cosmetic love but for now we're going with mechanical functionality.

I need a latch for the ski locker and I wondering where I can get new cupholders. I need to paint the hood or replace it. I'll probably remove the s decals on the back of the boat as they are really faded.

Attachments

• Speedster Clean 4-14-24 (1).JPEG
    Speedster Clean 4-14-24 (1).JPEG
    282 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster Clean 4-14-24 (2).JPEG
    Speedster Clean 4-14-24 (2).JPEG
    299.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster Clean 4-14-24 (3).JPEG
    Speedster Clean 4-14-24 (3).JPEG
    333.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster Clean 4-14-24 (4).JPEG
    Speedster Clean 4-14-24 (4).JPEG
    199.2 KB · Views: 3
I doubt I have the grounds connected the way they were but I didn't have a picture. I looked a bit at the manual but didn't see anything. I know I got good grounds though so I'm done. If anyone has info or pictures of how the ground connect and where I'd like to see them.

I doubt I have the grounds connected the way they were but I didn't have a picture. I looked a bit at the manual but didn't see anything. I know I got good grounds though so I'm done. If anyone has info or pictures of how the ground connect and where I'd like to see them.
What grounds are you referring to? I should be able to help. The Challenger I have is similar

I think the Speedster is finally worth a couple of bucks. :D Before you get everything put together it's just a pile of junk. At least now it is together. Batteries are in and connected but the spark plug wires for the engine are too short. I gotta see what I'm going to do about that. I need to program the key and see if the MPEM is good. I took it to the carwash and spent sometime making it look spiffy. I needs some cosmetic love but for now we're going with mechanical functionality.

I need a latch for the ski locker and I wondering where I can get new cupholders. I need to paint the hood or replace it. I'll probably remove the s decals on the back of the boat as they are really faded.
I’ve seen lots of people making those hoods look like new with 50 percent linseed oil and 50 percent mineral spirits I think. Apparently it’s a long term fix, not like the hair dryer trick. If your interested I can find the exact process

What grounds are you referring to? I should be able to help. The Challenger I have is similar
The double battery set up and the engine grounds. I don't remember taking pictures and I didn't see a definitive procedure or connection points. I put the grounds on the Starter which is my preference. Then the ground goes to the gray box. There are 2 ground wires coming out of that box. Then I had 3 more ground wires (different lengths) :D So what I did was....

I made double connections for the grounds (put two cables on the same battery bolt) Then I connected 2 cables to each starter One from the battery and the other to the gray box. Basically I have a double loop of ground to each battery. Overkill I'm sure. :D

The double battery set up and the engine grounds. I don't remember taking pictures and I didn't see a definitive procedure or connection points. I put the grounds on the Starter which is my preference. Then the ground goes to the gray box. There are 2 ground wires coming out of that box. Then I had 3 more ground wires (different lengths) :D So what I did was....

I made double connections for the grounds (put two cables on the same battery bolt) Then I connected 2 cables to each starter One from the battery and the other to the gray box. Basically I have a double loop of ground to each battery. Overkill I'm sure. :D
Nice, ok. No need for me to look then? Sounds like your well grounded

I'm not sure when but I'll likely have a good Speedster MPEM available. When I got the boat I did some troubleshooting and I figured I'd get a MPEM because the left engine was not getting fire. I'm pretty happy about it all but when I installed the MPEM I purchased the left engine didn't have fire. I found the problem pretty quick. Wires going into the MAG plug had corroded and broken off. After repairing the wires in the plug the engine fired right up. I"m not disappointed with my initial troubleshooting because I didn't spend much time as I was replacing the engines and restoring the boat. I am happy the MPEM is good. I bought the MPEM at a decent price compared to what people wanted and I'd be happy to save someone some money. They were $1200 when I was looking.

Can you explain that process?
I would have to post on another site but my memory says 50 percent boiled linseed oil ( you don’t actually boil it, that’s just the name ) and 50 percent mineral spirits, rub that on with a scotchbrite pad, I think what your actually doing is taking a layer of the plastic off. Have to use tour judgment on how long and how agressive to work it, then go over it with a plastic protectant like back to black. I have had success with scotchbrite paf and barkeepers friend, the liquid gel.

Back