1995 XP trim question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

matempl

I finished my 95 xp project. I put it in the water today. This was the second time in water since I’ve had it. The last time the trim wasn’t working and I had it where I thought middle was. It sucked air on hard accel coming up on plane.
I fixed the trim and now when trimmed down the ski works awesome. The question is if I trim much more than 1/3 from full down the ski jump up on a hole shot and sucks air. When it’s trimmed up above half it sucks air on any wake at all. Is that normal? If so why does it have a vts at all?

Yes it is normal. A set of extended trim tabs or aftermarket sponsons will help keep it planted. An aftermarket intake grate would help also. I'm not just saying that because I'm the best place to find such things haha. A 95XP has the 3" pump extension and is hard to keep out of the air in choppy water.

I have a 94 XP with worx sponsons and intake grate. Would they be the same? I know it’s not an x4 so probably not. But I’m not keeping it so if they would work I’ll swap them.

Yes it is normal. A set of extended trim tabs or aftermarket sponsons will help keep it planted. An aftermarket intake grate would help also. I'm not just saying that because I'm the best place to find such things haha. A 95XP has the 3" pump extension and is hard to keep out of the air in choppy water.
I was thinking to keep the 3" pump extension on my upcoming 95XP800 build. When I had it running with the stock 787, I don't recall it jumping up and sucking air, but it did always have a low-end bog that I recall losing the battle to. Are you suggesting I shouldn't keep the pump extension? I will have a slew of aftermarket parts, making it quite a bit faster than stock. I will need to get a new driveshaft for it if I keep the extension, so I should decide before I start the project.

The pump extension is good. It adds a mph up top and gives better trim and steering response. Drive shafts are a rare area where you are better off getting sbt than OEM. They are a little thicker and less likely to bend on you.

Yes the aftermarket sponsons and intake grate should switch over from the 94XP to the 95XP.

I've always run an aftermarket grate on my skis, could this be why it didn't unload on take-off on me?

Any proper running X4 without hull mods will hop and such air when you punch it if it's not trimmed down.

Yes a scoop grate will help keep the pump fed.

Thats the fun of a X4 hull with vts all the way up, wave jumping.
I actually like to have mine level or even a little down for wave jumps. Otherwise, my nose ends up really high, and it takes a bit to recover before I can tear off for the next jump.

So I pulled the worx sponsons and intake grate from the 94. What position should they be in for a novice rider? This is my first xp and my other ski is a 96 gti and I’ve only had that 1 season. So I’m not going to be overly aggressive.

As high and toward the front as possible. Even there in the least aggressive setting they grab plenty.

The further down in the water the more it grabs. Hold on or you'll get tossed if you go into the first turn too hot. Like Matt said. Keep the Dobson high, it will grab plenty.

Any tips on mounting the sponsons? Trying to put the nut on in that blind hole is a bitch. I have one of the worx nut/washer combo stuck behind the foam. Not sure how I’m getting that out. And everything is stainless so a magnet is no help.

I pinch a little paper towel between the socket and the nut and between the socket and the extension. This way it all stays together until the nut is threaded on the bolt hiding down there. Be sure to use lots of good silicone.

Ok thanks. What’s the down side to removing the foam just in that area? Flotation I realize but how much would it matter?

I've seen the foam cut out all the time. I think it would still float but obviously not as well. If you can make a clean cut and get it out in one or two big chunks then it's easy to glue back in.

Just did a pair of GSX's yesterday. I superglue the washers to the nut then use a small square of electrical tape in the socket to hold the nut. Then a small mirror and flashlight to get them on.

Got the sponsons on today and the intake grate. I had to dig a little foam out because the hole in foam wasn’t centered with the bolt. Paper towel trick worked great. What a difference! It doesn’t suck air until the trim is way up and wow can it turn. Amazing. Great advice.

Thank you I'm glad you like it. That's the way a ski should handle in my opinion. You will notice that you can hold the throttle down have way and skip across the top of choppy water also. The won't be jumping everything nose up as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back