1993 Seadoo XP PTO

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Landonheinberg

Hello,

My PTO turns freely as much as it wants counterclockwise but when turning it to the right it will eventually catch after a couple rotations and stop turning. Why would this be?

Turning it clockwise is tightening it so it should bottom out and start to spin the crankshaft.

It sat for a very long time and was siezed yesterday. After spraying pb blaster in it it broke free and now it'd doing what I spoke above? Does that give you anymore ideas?

should be easy with the spark plugs removed. If not, remove jet pump and try again.
Jet pump isn't siezed. It seems the pistons are a little dirty and rusted. I took the top end off the block. I tapped on them with a wood block and hammer and they moved with some force

99.9% of the time a rusted engine is broken free the damage is done and the pistons and rings will finish themselves off when/if you get it to fire.

If it has been sitting you also need to do a full fuel system rebuilt.

99.9% of the time a rusted engine is broken free the damage is done and the pistons and rings will finish themselves off when/if you get it to fire.

If it has been sitting you also need to do a full fuel system rebuilt.
There is minimal rust and had sand in it

There is no way to get sand into the pistons....

Also if it turns one direction then "Catches" is is typically a rotary valve issue, I would pull the carbs and rotary cover and make sure nothing is jammed in the rotary valve like an air cleaner bolt (very common).

Okay I'll check that. I swear there was sand in there haha. It was in the side crevices not in the pistons directly but under the top caseing

I'm gonna have to lift the engine to do that aren't I? I can hear scraping in one of the pistons right as it hits that stiff point. I was hoping an over night soak in pb blaster would possibly do the trick. Maybe rust on the side of the piston head? If not looks like I'm pulling the rotary cover off.

Back