Winterize a XP800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I have a XP800 that was only ever used in fresh water. I don't have the space in my garage to put it in over the winter
I was just going to fog both carbs and stabalize the petrol and put a cover over it. Its had a 15 second rev or 2 so any water in the system is gone.
Is it ok now to cover, or is there any water around the system that could still freeze?
I look forward to your thoughts on this.

There are numerous youtube videos on wintering a 2 stroke. I think all of them show you how to flush the engine/exhaust with RV antifreeze. If you have a submersible pump, it is easy to put the antifreeze in a bucket with the pump, attach the pump to where you would normally flush the system with fresh water. I would flush the system with fresh water first to wash out any lake water. Then flush it with antifreeze.

When you flush the system, start the engine first, then flush with the pump or hose until you see the water or antifreeze coming from the exhaust and pisser in the back, then shut off the water or pump and let the engine run and rev for 10-15 seconds to blow out the remaining excess fluid before you shut the engine off. You should do this before you fog the carbs and also fog the cylinders.

There are some other steps to do which should be detailed in the service manual for your particular model and year that are available online.

1 - Pull the main water inlet hose off of the jet pump fitting, lift that hose end up above engine level and stick a funnel in it.

2 - start the engine first before you start pouring antifreeze in.

3 - with the engine running pour 1 gallon of rv antifreeze into the funnel.and watch for antifreeze to come out of the exhaust and othe water outlets/"pissers".

4 - after the gallon is in do a normal couple of revs on the motor and shut things down.

5 - reconnect the water inlet line to the jet pump fitting.

This will get antifreeze into the engine coolant jacket and dilute any water sitting in the exhaust. The 787 motor has been known to hold water and crack cylinders in the cold do to it's leaning configuration

The funnel method is much more simple than the bilge pump idea. I have winterized tons of machines this way, it only takes 2 minutes to do and cleanup is fast and all you need is a funnel that fits into the coolant line.

My machines get stored outside year round and winter temps get to -50F. I have never had any water freeze damage to any DOO I have winterized with this method.

I made i thread years ago with pics. I still shake my head when guys say to start the engine when putting antifreeze in. All you need is gravity. Starting it does nothing. Using a submersible pump messy and a waste of time. You can literally winterize a ski in 15 minutes start to finish or less.

Here's the thread

https://www.seadooforum.com/index.php?posts/386572

Sorry. Starting the motor may not need to be done. It's just habit for me to have it running anytime I put fluids in the lines. I always emphasized this when I worked at the dealership as a CYA thing and it has just stuck with me.

Not taking a stab at you AK. I just see lots of guys here doing it. The procedure in the manual doesn't have you do it for the antifreeze. I just keep the mess to a minimum if you know what I mean. It really is simple to winterize these skis though and everyone complicates it with pumps and buckets. It only takes a half gallon if you do it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back