Welch Plug Leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bigJake

Well, it took 26 years, but one of my welch plugs is leaking - 3 small holes. My (64 year old) back objects to removing the pipe to have it welded, so I'm going to JB Weld it. Is the best option, the JB Weld SteelStik? I see some people JB Weld a quarter or piece of aluminum over the plug. Seems like a quarter should work nicely for added strength. I'm assuming with a layer of JB Weld between the aluminum and the quarter, the nickel cladding on the quarter should not cause the aluminum to corrode. Is that the way to go, or should I just use the JB Weld alone?
1693628647160.png

Use aluminum. It is a coefficient of thermal expansion thing. If the two metals don't expand and contract at the same rate, they will rip the JB Weld off. I only had a JB repair work once and that was on a motorcycle carburetor body and it used an aluminum disk. There was no pressure on it. Did you consider solder like a gas tank or radiator repair?

Straight JB weld. Nothing else needed. You're not adding anything if you put metal over the top. Clean it good, let it dry and use the 24 hour JB weld. You'll be good for many many years. I'd do ALL of the welds... at the same time or you'll be chasing leaks. Good Luck !!

SIDE NOTE: I've pryed RTV off these pipes and it was stuck some kinda good. Obviously no leaks either. It's not rocket science and the water jacket doesn't get very hot at all.

Straight JB weld. Nothing else needed. You're not adding anything if you put metal over the top. Clean it good, let it dry and use the 24 hour JB weld. You'll be good for many many years. I'd do ALL of the welds... at the same time or you'll be chasing leaks. Good Luck !!

SIDE NOTE: I've pryed RTV off these pipes and it was stuck some kinda good. Obviously no leaks either. It's not rocket science and the water jacket doesn't get very hot at all.

Can you clarify "the 24 hour JB weld". Both of these say they are the "Original Cold Weld" formula that cures in 15-24 hours. I'm assuming this is what you are referring to? thanks.
1693670046433.png1693670076115.png

Agreed no "patch" needed. I was covering a hole we drilled to unplug a non-replaceable jet so it was far larger than a pin hole. I have never understood the mystique of JB Weld. It is just epoxy with some filler. The biggest issue is getting stuff to stick to aluminum. Clean, clean and clean some more. Give the surface some tooth if you are not worried about looks. I have used adhesion promoter on really smooth stuff. Or just slap something on and see if it works. It probably will.

Just use the JB weld Steel Stick putty. If you try and use any of the two part liquid it will run off before it sets up especially on the ones on the underside.
I have friends going on 5 years now with the steel stick.

Just use the JB weld Steel Stick putty. If you try and use any of the two part liquid it will run off before it sets up especially on the ones on the underside.
I have friends going on 5 years now with the steel stick.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking , that it would run off. Will go with the Steel Stick.

Back