Several issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought two jet skis. What a deal right? Holy cow. Just to preface i do enjoy small engine repair and i am mechanically inclined and i am stumped but also not afraid to ask for help.

00 seadoo gti 717-
Several problems
Changed fuel lines, carb rebuild, new starter, new stator( it was in a thousand pieces when i pulled the flywheel), replaced the motor with sbt motor due to oil seals leaking, got an after market mpem for now just to get it started. Plan on sending mpem to get checked soon.

Problem 1- timing on the stator. Since my old one was in pieces, no marks or anything. I read somewhere that sbt blocks just set it in the middle of the stator grooves. So i set it there to start. Won’t hit a lick. Any suggestions? I poured gas directly into the throat.

Problem 2- will not pull fuel from the tank. It has pickup tube on it. I cleaned the selector and i can suck/blow gas and air through it. I can pull gas down to the carb but it will not pull it into the carb.

Problem 3.- the oil pump will not prime. I know i can run just mixing it but it will not prime for nothing. I’ve seen the videos and mine will not work anymore. So weird. I’m gonna pull it off again and try to prime. It did work before i pulled it off of the motor.

Any ideas why the carb will not pull gas in? I know the lines are correct. Pulse goes to motor, return goes straight to the tank, in comes from the bowl up front.

You can test the fuel pump on the carb. Put a clean hose on the pulse fitting you can actuate it by sucking and blowing on the hose. Put a clear line on the carb feed and the end of that line in a container of fuel. As you suck and blow creating a pulse it should draw the fuel up to the carb. It is very efficient so fuel will come up the line pretty quick if the pump is working.

There are timing marks on the stator and the housing that need to be lined up properly. The other timing mark is under the screw.

2002 GTI 717 Engine Mag Align  (3).JPG

2002 GTI 717 Engine Mag Align  (3).JPG

Thanks for the info. I will
You can test the fuel pump on the carb. Put a clean hose on the pulse fitting you can actuate it by sucking and blowing on the hose. Put a clear line on the carb feed and the end of that line in a container of fuel. As you suck and blow creating a pulse it should draw the fuel up to the carb. It is very efficient so fuel will come up the line pretty quick if the pump is working.
try that tonight and let you know. I probably have those discs backwards in the carb

There are timing marks on the stator and the housing that need to be lined up properly. The other timing mark is under the screw.

View attachment 58319

View attachment 58320
I looked all over for a mark. I didn’t see anything except for the mark on the stator at the 9 o’clock position. I have to repull the motor anyway so i will look again while it is out. Thanks for the information.
The shop manual says you have to make a mark with a cold chisel but since my old stator was destroyed and i sent my old motor back in as a core. i didn’t even think to check for a mark while i had it.
Thanks for the reply.

this was my stator when i pulled the flywheel. As you can see it was absolutely destroyed. So I’m working with all new equipment.

Attachments

• 1D52D443-14F9-42F9-B57D-3BA31A2FFEB7.jpeg
    1D52D443-14F9-42F9-B57D-3BA31A2FFEB7.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 34
I dunno, all the 717s and 657's I've done both parts had the mark and I didn't have to make it. You don't need to pull th engine to see the mark. I'll take a look at my engine pile I might have one apart to take a picture.

I'd take the pump off the engine and spin it with a drill. Make sure to hold the timing arm both completely open and where the timing marks align so you can check that it feeds oil throughout its possible range of locations depending on throttle.

Have you adjusted the linkages properly? I had a problem recently after rebuilding my 717 that i could barely get gas into the combustion chambers. My problem was the mag side carb had a leaky needle that was spitting gas out and after fixing, i went back through photos and noticed my throttle linkage was set too far in one direction (10mm nuts that go around linkage) and i think the throttle butterfly was open too much, more so than it had previously been.

So this is what it looks like with the “marks” i have showing lined up. I’m a little perplexed. Usually they are off tdc more than this.
image.jpg

Can you see both of your line up marks? One is under the hold down bolt on the left. As you can see my stator has the slot showing on the bottom. Yours is showing the slot at the top. You should be able to get a good idea of where it should be from my picture. It needs to be perfectly lined up not a hair off. Good Luck !!

I have seen this before and honestly I have no clue why some Seadoo's are like this. Every other brand has very visible marks stamped on every case and stator and all get lined up no issues. Seadoo on the other hand didn't mark all of them and even the manual tells you to use a timing light and make a pointed to get them correct which I just don't understand why.

I am happy to say that i found the timing mark on the stator. It was INSIDE the bolt hole! Geez. And it was right where it was supposed to be but man it took some hunting.

Also got the carb to pumping. I guess it’s not a rebuild until you do it at least twice.

Got the oil pump primed and the dang cable going to the carb broke. That cable is expensive. Can get a whole new pump for what that costs.

Always an adventure

Ok so another weird thing.
Put it all back together and everything is pumping and oiling like it should but i CAN NOT get it to fire.
I took the spark plugs out and the weirdest thing is happening. I hit the starter button and watch spark. It’s ALL OVER THE PLACE. Spark spark nothing for a second. Spark rapidly then slowly then nothing then back again but it is not in a pattern at all.
I have ordered a new ignition coil (a newer one came with it when i bought it). I even ordered a new fly wheel because of the damage the old stator had thinking maybe that might have something to do with it.

Stumped. Any ideas?

Check the wire that is feeding the coil. I had one on a GTX that was pinched under the rectifier. Check your fuses and ground. Check the wires in the plug that plugs into the stator. The DESS Post could be having problems. Oh yes, unplug the main plugs going into the MPEM to make sure they do not have any corrosion in there. sometimes they get wet and people don't check such things. You're coil could be bad. Did you check the coil resistance to the spark plug cap? Good Luck.

Just an update for everyone.
Replaced the ignition coil. Works perfectly and on time. Even got it to fire off.
Problem now is this. I can only get it to fire off when i put my hand completely over the intake and force fuel into the system. Like choking it out and lifting my hand On and off the intake.
Any ideas or things i need to look for? I have ordered another carb kit because sometimes the kits can be the wrong parts or thickness of the materials.
It’s a carburetor and i know how to do carbs but this is not what i have happen normally so that’s why I’m scratching my head.
Also, got my mpem reprogrammed with more keys. So it’s not dead like i had originally thought. Yay!
M

Did you rebuild it the first time with a genuine Mikuni kit? If not, that may be the cause of your problems

Just a follow up for everyone.
I re replaced the stator as it blew my diode in my mpem. I replaced the diode in there as well. That issue is fixed.

Had to replace the pickup tube on the gas tank as a nipple on the top cracked and was sucking air.

Replaced the ignition coil and have great spark.
Replaced the oil pump and it’s working.

Finally got everything running but it kept flooding the carb. Replaced with oem kit. Still flooding.
So aggravated that i bought a new oem carb and put it on there. The ski runs better now than ever. However, when i turn off the ski and sit for a few minutes it is still flooding. It will run but it takes several minutes of idling and running before it catches up and then it’s fine. Only other problem is it is very happy at half throttle. Full throttle really doesn’t make it do much more overall.
The low speed screw has been adjusted several positions but it still lags some when going from idle to full throttle.
Only other thing i can think of is checking the pop off pressure but since it was a new carb i figured it was set already. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back