SES "seadoo engine shop" gripe

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be said, as there are fewer and fewer shops available to rebuild these old 2 stroke twin cranks, but SES is not a good one.

More on that later. Full bore is basically unavailable, never pick up phone return calls or emails. SBT welds them, not that welding them is awful, just makes future rebuilds very difficult as I'm sure you know. I have an old 951 SBT crank and I just ordered a new rebuild from SBT before making this post because I have a second motor that needs to be rebuilt as well. But they will get their own crank back for a core so it works out. I'm sure there are others who do this service but these are the initial three I had found. With all that now known I may end up getting the tools to do the rebuilds myself. Maybe make some change on the side who knows.

On to SES. At first they seem great, he answers, he texts awesome. Communication is key. That's where the good ends. I'm told crank could be done in as little as 2 weeks 4 weeks tops. For accurate timeline purposes the crank get to him May 28th I don't expect it back till July. Texts me June 7th saying it should ship by the 11th, holy chit mang awesome! No shipping confirmation. Text me June 17th that its done. Still, super happy its that fast. Four days later June 21 I reach back out if it shipped and now it's waiting on seals, a new development. Big red flag here, how can the crank be done with out seals..... that he is waiting on!? Ok ok let it slide. Jun 29th now and seals are supposed to be in on July 1st. Whatever dude finish my crank. July 13th I check back as I have no crank and no shipping confirmation. At this point I have been super patient and am beginning to see the pattern of blatant lies. July 23rd now and I'm told its at the shipper and they should have shipped it already. I actually get the crank August 2nd, 9 full weeks after it arrived at his shop. And let me tell you the packaging of the crank was pathetic, I'm amazed it wasn't damaged, but who cares lets get on the water!

Ha! Sike. Go to assemble the motor and realize the outter bearings are installed backwards so the alignment pins do not go into their holes, oh and the main crank thrust washers aren't even on the crank any longer. Are you serious!!!??? If you are needing engine work, I suggest you steer clear from SES

This is all 100% factual, if there be any doubters I can post the time stamped text conversations if ya like.

Update:

Tom actually called to explain the issue this morning, and due to wanting to get back on the water, I will go with it.

He states that he never uses the thrush washers in an effort to allow the crank to move some, so the rods do not bind in the hole from not being centered properly due to crank being held into place. I agree with this in all honesty, with the way these two stroke cases are designed. So, No thrust washers for now.

As for the bearings being installed wrong he accepted that as his screw up and instructed to just remove the locating pins from the outside bearings. I'm a little iffy on this as to me they are less of alignment pins and more to keep the outter race from being able to spin in the cases. With the cases being good this shouldn't be an issue, but I may drop some loctite in there anyway to help ensure those bearings dont move.

So is this making it right? I guess to some extent.

Last edited:
I'm on my phone so I can't find the older posts... But Tom at ses is a joke.
Yeah I had found a few threads about it well after the fact of committing to send it to him. It's sad you have to actually do due diligence on a business these days. I just wanted to also post a 2021 updated post so people know this was real real recent.

Tom is a good guy I think he just over extends himself and is a yes guy. He always says what the customer wants to hear which is often far from the truth.

This is the first time I've heard anything about assembly/mechanical problems coming from him. It's a shame to hear that.

I've had two full motor rebuilds done by him and aside from the turn over time I've got no complaints. The motors have run great for many hours so far.

Still thats a big bummer to hear. I'm sure he will make right but of course it will be months before you get it fixed.

Someone on here should take the hint and open a shop. There's clearly money to be made and would only take some proper management to keep customers happy ;)

Tom is a good guy I think he just over extends himself and is a yes guy. He always says what the customer wants to hear which is often far from the truth.

This is the first time I've heard anything about assembly/mechanical problems coming from him. It's a shame to hear that.

I've had two full motor rebuilds done by him and aside from the turn over time I've got no complaints. The motors have run great for many hours so far.

Still thats a big bummer to hear. I'm sure he will make right but of course it will be months before you get it fixed.

Someone on here should take the hint and open a shop. There's clearly money to be made and would only take some proper management to keep customers happy ;)
Tom actually called to explain the issue this morning, and due to wanting to get back on the water, I will go with it.

He states that he never uses the thrush washers in an effort to allow the crank to move some, so the rods do not bind in the hole from not being centered properly due to crank being held into place. I agree with this in all honesty, with the way these two stroke cases are designed. So, No thrust washers for now.

As for the bearings being installed wrong he accepted that as his screw up and instructed to just remove the locating pins from the outside bearings. I'm a little iffy on this as to me they are less of alignment pins and more to keep the outter race from being able to spin in the cases. With the cases being good this shouldn't be an issue, but I may drop some loctite in there anyway to help ensure those bearings dont move.

I know some people that would say that about you. Does that make it true?
As soon as it's backed up with facts and pictures...sure.

$100 offer for anyone that has a story that can be backed up with facts and pictures.

My integrity is second to no one. I have no problem putting $100 bills on the line to call out your bullsheit.

I'll be waiting.

LOL!!!!

Sure, the seadoo and all other engine engineers and manufacturer's have no clue what they are doing and just love throwing in extra parts. To say you don't need thrust washers and alignment pins is just strait up bull shit! Good luck with that piece of crap crank holding together.

SES has been very well documented here to provide less than sub par service so do your research and good luck.

If you want a quality rebuild on your crank go with Competitive Crankshafts.

$100 offer for anyone that had a story that can be backed up with facts and pictures.

My integrity is second to no one. I have no problem putting $100 bills on the line to call out your bullsheit.

Ha.... people can see right through your BS. You'll just lie and tell your side and bash the other person just like fake news and your little buddies will chime in. I just hope people on this forum learn who to trust and shop around before spending their hard earned money and ignoring the rhetoric spewed here.

What you can't back it up and deleted your post?

I never said we don't have haters. Hater.

It is my fervent wish that people ignore the constant rhetoric on this forum and learn to "shop around" and make up their own minds. Forum members should realize they are the target customers of vendors here. Much better prices and service can be had elsewhere.

I've learned a lot from members in this forum and I try to give back by helping others. Not everyone is like me... some people help themselves under the guise of helping others but... most people see right through that and I would be remiss in my duty if I didn't bring attention to that on occasion. You have a nice week.
`

$100 offer for anyone that has a story that can be backed up with facts and pictures.

I'll be waiting.

Having dealt with both of you regarding business, I'd put Tom at SES integrity head and shoulders above yours. That is my opinion and my experience. I"m not defending Tom in anyway nor am I bashing you, that's just my experience.

It is my fervent wish that people ignore the constant rhetoric on this forum and learn to "shop around" and make up their own minds. Forum members should realize they are the target customers of vendors here. Much better prices and service can be had elsewhere.

I've learned a lot from members in this forum and I try to give back by helping others. Not everyone is like me... some people help themselves under the guise of helping others but... most people see right through that and I would be remiss in my duty if I didn't bring attention to that on occasion. You have a nice week.
`
I've been helping others for two decades. I was on pwctoday before sbt owned it. I just walked a guy on the phone ready to spend $900 on an mpem how to test it and surprise surprise all he needed was a $50 solenoid. What's funny is I didnt even push selling him one bc he was in a hurry I told him to call his local dealership and buy and oem. 15mins on the phone, didn't get paid a $1. Customer and referals for life.

You can be a hater all you want buddy. I not only take care of my seadoo brothers this is how I take care of my family.

In Texas we have (2) great 2 stroke mechanics thank goodness [emoji28]
Nothing wrong with finding guys locally you can trust. I've got a few in MN too but I don't give their names out bc they tell me not to. My bore guy took me 3 years to get him to let me work with him directly. Lol

I guess that's some level of making it right. I probably would have told him I'm sending it back to be done properly and it needs to be expedited shipping and labor.

No telling if he would actually get it done faster but I definitely wouldnt assemble that motor with those pins not in on the crank.

I doubt he would refuse to do it but I know the waiting game gets old. I waited almost 7 months for a motor from him at one point. I had another ski that was up and running though so it softened the frustration. However I've always said the only thing better than one ski is two and the only thing better than two skis is three. It's fun to ride by yourself but it's way more fun to ride with friends

Who actually does good crank rebuilds anymore? I have one I've been holding back on sending out because I don't know who to trust and I've been riding my slow 95 or taking the boat all summer because of it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back