Oil filter o-ring placement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joaquin12345

Premium Member
Premium Member
I got my oilfilter kit today and am unsure of where the o rings go. When I took my oil filter cap off it only had the big fat oring and the little one on the screw. Anyways where does the skinnier big oring and the fatter big oring go??

Well since nobody answered me I am going to answer my question with the answer as to what I went through today. After spending 2 hrs just putting and taking off the oil filter cap. I came to the conclusion that of course the little o-ring goes on the long screw toward the top, the smaller of the big o-rings goes toward the top of the cap where it butts up against the oilfilter canister part, and the fat o ring goes just where the cap has a lip toward the middle right at the section where it gets thicker. Anyways it was a super pain to put the cap on and busted 3 big orings trying. Finally what I did and it worked great was to roll the big oring to the lowest part of the cap right before it slipped off anyways then I gently put it over the oil filter opening area and started to slowly budge it down with the palm of my hand. It slowly slid into place and after much troubles before this turned out to actually work and I didnt ruin a 4th oring. Anyways being on the end of the cap was tricky because I had to be careful not to let it fall off and not know it but when i started pushing down the cap I guess it rolled between the cap and canister walls allowing everything to slide in. Anyways just wanted to share my information on what I did. If anyone has questions let me know.

you got it. also, removing the cap is not difficult and 99% of the time does not require a tool to pry it off. just use your fingers and pry back and forth on each side, it will come out. some of the early 02-03 plastic caps are more difficult to remove but I see damaged caps all the time with screwdriver pry marks by idiots who don't know what they are doing. these o-rings can be reused without issue as long as they are not damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back