need buying advice please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeretv

hello,
i'm about to buy a 2005 rxp and i need some advice. price is $6300 w/o trailer. i inspected it tonight and the thing looks like it's in great shape, runs great, and only has the usual scratches from trailering. it does have a spot about the size of an orange where the paint's not perfect. like maybe something banged it there and the messed the gelcoat up. it's on the port side at the bow. i don't see any cracks in the gelcoat or fiberglass. would this cause me any problems later on?

is this a good deal and what about the gelcoat on the front? below is the ad from craigslist:

I am selling my PERFECT condition 2005 Sea Doo RXP ( PWC , jetski , jet ski, waverunner , wave runner ). It is supercharged, has 215 horsepower stock (don’t know how much with mods), 1500 CC's and 80 hours on it - runs flawlessly and extremely FAST with excellent reliability.

It also has a number of professionally installed performance modifications – search for RXP Stage II kit from rivaracing.com – it is roughly a $3,000 kit that consists of the mods I have done to this. Not to mention, the NADA of this ski without the trailer is $7,620:

-2006 supercharger/Riva Generation 2 wheel with metal washers (washers are known for going bad on these jetskis because they are ceramic from the factory - google it and see how many matches come up.)

-Riva 4" rear intake with oil catch can

-Riva Pro sponsons

-Riva Pro blockoffs

-R&D intake grate

-Solas 14/19r prop

-Pump wedge

-Riva seat cover

-Hydroturf on the ski and also another new set still in bag

-Also comes with cover, rinse tube and stock sponsons

-Does not come with trailer in picture.

I have rinsed this jetski out after every time of riding even though I only drove it in fresh water.

Please call me and leave a message; I will get back to you. Also, if you want to test drive, I will charge a $50.00 test drive fee and will refund it if you decide to buy it. If you don’t buy it, the $50.00 is mine for gas and time.

looks like a nice ski but what kind of trailer is that? ohh and maybe there was a sticker on there that was removed after a while? Did you ask the owner about it?

yeah, it doesn't come with the trailer, thank god eh? i don't think it was a sticker. i should've taken a picture of it. it's like lines in the gel coat, where something might've hit it. the owner said the owner before him did it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil....

I'd pull the dip stick and look at the condition of the oil and smell it. See if it smells like something has burnt.

The reason is, you have no idea how hard this thing was rode. In 80 hours of abuse with all those mods, the engine may be on it's last leg. I would do a compression test on the engine. This will tell you if it's got any burnt valves or bad piston or cylinders........

This engine is a high performance engine from the factory. With the modifcations on it, I'd be cautious. I'm not saying it's a bad buy, just make sure you investigate before handing over the money.

Think of it this way. Have you ever watched drag racing? Well, those engines are V-8's that normally would last at least 10 years. You put all the mods in it they do to make it go fast down the track, it only last a few races before there replacing the valve train or the crankshaft and pistons......

So, it sounds pretty........but how much more life does the engine have?

hey thanks guys for the info. with reading seadoosnipe's reply, i've decided to buy another one. not as cool of colors, but i think without the mods it will last longer. never really thought about the mods actually HURTING the engine. i'm buying a 2004 yellow/black/gray rxp for $5350. bad deal? includes nice trailer, cover, and jackets. i'm quickly seeing that buying a PWC is sort of a crapshoot. you never know what you're gonna get...

Always get a free test drive! If youcan do a compression test too. It will give you lots of info on what the engine is doing inside. Here is some information on doing your own test. If you pratice at home, even on your lawn mower you could feel comfortable doing it on site before you spend the money. Here is the info;
You'll need a compression tester. Go to Auto Zone. I think they sell for like $25.00. The compression gage, will screw in the cylinder head in place of the spark plugs. To test compression, remove both spark plugs. Place spark plug caps on the plug cap studs near the cylinder head to ground the empty caps. This completes the circuit of the ignition electrical system and prevents any electrical problems from the caps being un grounded. Using the correct adapter for the threaded end of the tester,( same length of the spark plug threads length)screw in the tester in one plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open. Push the start button. Watch the compression gauge, when it peaks out at the most compression, let go the start button. Read the psi number. I would do it 3 times to be sure it is accurate. Check both cylinders the same way. The ideal compression is 150 psi per cylinder. If it is less, it's not a problem as long as they are close to being the same. If the psi is less than 90 it might need be time for a tear down and a rebuild. If the psi in 1 cylinder is say 140 psi and the other is 80 psi you need to tear down and repair. This difference is a lot then there is a problem. I hope this helps you.

If you have any more questions give us a shout.

Karl

hey thanks karl for the info. i'm going thursday to pick it up. i doubt the guy will let me do a pressure test tho. i was planning to hook up the hose and listen for stuff. not sure if i can do a test run with the time that i'll have to pick it up because it'll be in the evening. but i will do that when i get it back to my house... is that a good price?

The book Price on that seadoo is $6,070.00 to $6,860.00. Here is the book price for you to see, http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...&m=1463&d=1600217129&y=2004&ml=S&gc=MR&gtc=MR

I wouldn't buy a seadoo unless you get to ride it. Even real bad seadoo's run good on the hose. That's a big chance and I have seen lots of members get stuck, hearing " it sounded good running on the hose", but it had a bad wear ring and beat engine...repairs can get expensive quick. That's just my own personal opinion.

Karl

I would want one if it was me. I hate to see anybody get stuck or taken advantage of.

Karl :cheers:

The test drive should put a smile on your face that you got a good deal. Be positive and it will work out in the end... and you'll have a good time too on the test ride.

Let us know how it goes.:)

Karl

karl, i ended up buying it without a test drive. the nearest body of water was over an hour away and really rocky and low. i picked up the rxp on thursday evening and headed to the Chesapeake Bay on saturday and sunday. the water was so flat. my first run, i was over 60mph. on the second and third run, i was doing over 70+. it was so scary but so smooth!! my friends with their skis were hatin' cause i would give them a 1/4 mile head start and then flying back and kickin' their a$$! it's a rush, and the ski worked perfectly. it started on the first try and each additional start. it looks like i did get a good deal off of ebay. it's been beached alot from previous owners, so i'd like to work on repainting the bottom, but not sure really how worth it is to fix. that's the only thing i can see is wrong with it. the thing eats gas, but what can ya expect? EBAY RULEZ!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back